Duck concerns

Vannajo

In the Brooder
May 23, 2017
Lakewood, WA
Good morning,
We've had two Blue Swedish ducks for a little over a year now, and Bought two more Pekin about 12 weeks ago. We have the Pekin outside now, since they are full grown (bigger than the older ducks now) but have them separated, although they can still see each other. They've been living this way for a few weeks now. I've let them mingle together once, and lets just say it did not go well. My older male duck started to violently chase them, and pull their feathers out. Is there a better way to go about letting them live together? Also, My one Female Pekin hasn't started to lay eggs yet, do I need to wait on letting them live together until she does, since she is still eating different food than my older Blue Swedish female?

You won't be able to keep one duck outta the others food, so either have to switch food or keep seperated. This may have been mating or dominant behavior from your Drake...You are transitioning them properly by letting them next to each other for few weeks prior to integration. They do establish a "pecking" order like chickens so some discord is normal, as long as no one is being really injured. How long since you first tried to put them together?

You won't be able to keep one duck outta the others food, so either have to switch food or keep seperated. This may have been mating or dominant behavior from your Drake...You are transitioning them properly by letting them next to each other for few weeks prior to integration. They do establish a "pecking" order like chickens so some discord is normal, as long as no one is being really injured. How long since you first tried to put them together?
It's been a few weeks since we tried. I was a little traumatized, but we just switched the new birds to the same food, so I think it might be time. I'm just nervous because I have never done this before.

It's breeding season and the Drake is aggressive and randy with his over load of hormones....:th

Wait till the young ones are more mature and the Drakes hormones calm down....:frow
Thanks! He has been pretty needy these days, even with me! Pecking at my feet and legs a lot more than usual!

Back
Top Bottom