Duck coop on concrete slab??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GreeneAcresFarm, May 31, 2011.

1. GreeneAcresFarm

GreeneAcresFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    I have a concrete slab that I am not currently using. I was thinking about securing my Pekins
    on this slab with a dog kennel and hardware cloth. I trying to decide what would be the best
    thing to put on top of the concrete. Sand, straw, ect. This would be a grow out pen until I feel
    comfortable moving them to the real pond! Any advice appreciated.They are around 6 weeks old. +/-

2. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    Quote:I think it's a great idea considering I'm fighting the awful duckling brooder smell right now and was wishing I had a spot outside I could just hose off! I say +

3. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    I have a concrete floor in my duck pen. I put straw on the floor to keep the feet off the concrete, though I am considering getting those rubber stable mats. It works out great, but I would worry about the bare floor in the feet.

4. GreeneAcresFarm

Mar 8, 2011
    Thanks for the input. I did not know if straw would be enough to protect there feet. Anyone use sand? Pro and cons of both sand and straw?

5. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    I would go with sand because it filters the water down and out. Straw can get soggy and mold. With sand you won't have a mold issue.

6. MichikoSaur

MichikoSaur Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] yepp

7. GreeneAcresFarm

Mar 8, 2011
    I hope to get to work this weekend if time permits. My Pekins are ready for the outdoors and a bigger area. Thanks for the advice.

8. rainy day ducks

rainy day ducks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Southeast Alaska
    I have a concrete slab in my duck house. I have two drains on either side so I can hose the inside down and scrub if needed. For bedding I have used both straw and wood shavings. I prefer the wood shavings. They absorb more water and you don't have to clean it as often as straw.

9. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Home Depot sells black rubber runners in the carpet isle for 10 bucks each. They are textured so the ducks cannot slip on them. I use them in my duck house and they are great. They also rinse of easily. Another option is to get some scrap vinyl flooring, but you have to rough it up so they don't slip on it. Sand paper will work for this job. Or just flip it over and use the back side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by