Duck Coop plans.

Arlen

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
From Scotland. Living in Idaho.
So, my wife and I have 8 chickens and love having them. They're in a large, ramshackle coop built from scraps and they get out a couple of times a week to forage in the yard. (And ruin the front lawn by digging holes to have dust baths.) Since the chickens are pretty established we don't want to put younger ducks in with them to get bullied.
We don't let them out unsupervised because we have a lot of raccoons in the area.
This is the coop.

At any rate, we're thinking of getting some ducks, too. (Between 2 and 4.)
I want them to have a decent coop that we're able to maintain. I've read as many posts on here as I can about appropriate flooring etc etc.

Here's what I've come up with that would be possible for us.

Raised platform with wading pool sort of thing sunk into it. (Something we can remove to drain and clean.) On that platform the drinking water and food.
Ground is river rocks or gravel covered in straw or woodchips or bark or whatever.
Wooden walled area open on to the rest of the coop for shade from sun and rain.
Wooden nesting/sleeping area.
The whole coop to be covered in strong wire to keep our dogs and the local raccoons out.
We may hold off on doing it until next spring because we're looking into getting a mortgage and our own place in a few months instead of renting and it'd be a big undertaking if we're going to move 6 months after doing it.

What do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom