Duck Coop/Run

halebale09

Hatching
Mar 31, 2015
Okay, so I've never had ducks before but I have 6 buff ducks coming in sometime this week. I have a brooder and everything set up for them, but I need some help figuring out the final touches on my duck pen.

The run for my pen is 6 feet wide, 12 feet long, and 4 feet tall. I am using 2x4's for the box of the structure and studs along the top, bottom, and sides. I'm pretty good at designing structures and everything, but I'm really stuck on how I should construct the roof. I want to have a gable roof for the top and I have not the slightest idea of where to start. If anyone has any plans for how to construct one or pictures of their own pens, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I was also wondering what type of thing I should use to connect the hardware cloth to the wood. I was thinking staples but I've also heard of using locks and washers, but I'm a little confused about how that works. And what are your suggestions on what type of screws to use to put the whole thing together? One more thing for the pen.... I'm also planning on making a door on the front of the pen so that would be a 4 ft x 6 ft area for it. I was thinking of one of those doors that has two diagonal pieces of wood across it.....if you have any suggestions, let me know!

Now on to the "coop." My coop is going to be a 4 ft x 4 ft box with a slanted roof. I was assuming I'd use plywood for the outside, but I'm not sure how I should go about making the actual structure for it. The roof will probably be plywood with a piece of steel over it, but I would like to be able to make the roof a door so I can clean the coop/ collect eggs. SO-if you have any suggestions on the roof-door, let me know!

I know this post is extremely long but I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read it and give me their advice. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
lol.png

I have a few suggestions that may simplify things as well as something additional for ducks. Consider a car port. Pix is of one going for $150.

Then also consider having a 7 foot round 1 foot deep swimming pool , the kind available at department stores for about $20. Add to that a pool filter for easier maintenance of the water . Filter does not need to be run all the time. Just when needed to clean up ... This way it saves water and keeps it clean. Every so often you would probably change it anyway. The filter would make removing/ pumping water out a snap. Give these ideas some thought and ask further questions as your project progresses.
AND OF COURSE
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom