Duck Coop & Training Question *pics of my ponds included*

Get a heated dog bowl. I am SO buying one for next year. Another option is an old round cooler filled with warm water at night. It usually lasts until morning in liquid form. That's what I did in January. But if you have electric, I would go for the heated dog bowl.

Your pond is beautiful! I would hate to have them in your great fountain cause they would sure make a poopy mess! I am using a Little Tikes playhouse that works really well for shelter if needed. It was free too...see website. Your ducks are adorable!

I hope nobody thinks this is being mean to an animal but my ducks are scared to death of the little red light off of a laser pointer. Most of the time they go in the house at night by themselves but on the nights they refuse, I just pull the laser out of my pocket and shine it on the water or ground behind them and they run like crazy for the house. Actually, it's kind of funny watching how fast they can waddle.
lol.png

I've never been able to call my ducks in. They just look at me like I'm stupid, quack, and keep on doing what they want.

Oh, purdy!

As for duck coops. . .no they don't have to be very big, depending on how many you have. I wish I had a picture of the duck house hubby built me a few years back (we had to leave it at our last house
hit.gif
), but it was basically the size of a large dog house, with a hinged lid that opened so we could clean it out. We only had four ducks, but it was big enough to hold eight. If they are just staying in it over night, it is okay to have tight quarters, because they are basically snuggling together to stay warm. So with a place as beautiful as yours, where they get to free range all day, I don't see the problem with a small coop.

Thank you so much everyone! I was expecting answers like no you need a huge house for them! lol. I figured they all huddle together anyway so they should be fine. Now for winter, they will be living in a small one bedroom but its better than freezing!

They lazer light is funny! I will have to try that! Cats love it, but duck hate it huh? lol

I found this awesome cedar dog house that would work great but I cant use it because cedar is toxic to ducks right??

I'm in Illinois as well (Edwardsville) ---- during the winter I use a heater that the waterer can sit on top of. Keeps the water from freezing but doesn't make it too warm. I found it at Rural King, but I"m sure Farm & Fleet (or any other farm-type store) would have them. Here's a link to a few different types:

http://www.shopthecoop.com/id86.html

Gwen

Very cool, thank you for that link. I didnt know they had those. I saw some at Farm & Fleet that you drop this round metal pipe in the bowl and it heats it. Im glad they have actual ones for waterers (if thats even a word? lol) My ducks try to swim in their little waterer now so I'd hate to see them with an actual bowl of water.

Quote:
I think using cedar in wood form is fine for a house. I believe it's the shavings/wood dust that shows high levels of plicatic acid which may/may not lead to asthma.

Mine have a tractor coop next to our pond... I let them go... and they NEVER went back!!!!!!

he.gif

Needless to say, now they live happily on the pond... and I use the tracot duck house as the place for hurt animals instead. You can't MAKE a duck do something it doesn't want to.

Pretty pond and fountain patio thing too. Don't worry about your grass... mine is mostly weeds and the ducks eat it, and the chickens scratch it up anyways.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom