Duck coop?

bryan8

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
New york
I moved my ducks from the brooder into my chicken coop. They get along great and free range with them when I'm home. But there makeing a mess of the coop with all the water and poo. How should I go about makeing a easy to clean coop tht would stay dry and be good for ducks.

Any suggestions?

Ducks are just messy,no way to stop them.my pen has a concrete floor and I clean once a day.I could clean it 3 times a day and it still would be messy.
Moving them to a bigger pen but they will mess it up also,welcome to ducks.
good luck

Last edited:
My ducks and chickens used to be housed together until the ducks started to lay. They would use the same nesting boxes as the chickens and the chickens pecked the poo out of the ducks to take over the nest. I mean really pecked! Several times one of the ducks had a huge bloody pecked up head. Not to mention the chickens never had fresh water to drink because the ducks would trash it. Ultimately, we built a seperate duck coop.

How should I go about makeing a easy to clean coop tht would stay dry and be good for ducks.

lau.gif
gig.gif
Well, staying dry is not going to happen maybe a bit DRIER. I have a 7 X 10 Resin shed w/floor that I have as my second duck coop. Easy clean as the shavings just slide right off the resin floor and the walls can be rubbed down w/water & disenfectant if need be. I just go in daily and add a bit of pine shavings to the poopier spots and once every two weeks or so I get a rake and delapidated snow shovel and scoop it out. I also have roosts since I have Scovies but for most ducks it's not necessary. I do have two nest boxes also lined up against a side wall. To help keep the coop drier, put a shallow pan like an edged cookie sheet or shallow roasting pan under the water bowl to help catch spills. Some just avoid putting water and food in the coops at night. Since my Scovies are shut up 14 hrs at this time of year I keep a rubber bowl of water and bowl of cracked corn/scratch available thru the night. Have fun with your ducks!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom