Duck coop

Quote:
Dont feel down duckncover. It is probably a good idea to give them more space BUT if that is what you have then thats all you can work with. I had the same problem with space myself, the ducks had about the same size run as you have for yours, and as long as you give them regular treats and a keep the drinking water clean as much you can, (and try, if you can, to give them some water they can put there heads into and have a little splash around)they should be ok. One word of warning though. The ground will be destroyed eventually. There is nothing you can really do about this in a small pen. BUT, what you may consider, is maybe digging out the grass, 5 - 6 " deep and fillling it with pea gravel, trust me, this idea was a god send to me! I now have my two ducks in a bigger run, which is something your mum may consider when she falls in love with the ducks. But for now, work with what you have and keep your head up. As long as you keep them clean, full water, food and treats, you will be ok. I understand your worry though, but there really is no need, look after them and they will look after you. And your always welcome to PM if you need anymore help. Update us with more pics when they arrive!
big_smile.png

I don't know if you have this option, but perhaps free ranging them a bit during the day would help cut down on how quickly they will tear apart that chunk of land. And I believe I read somewhere that someone did pea gravel and then on top of that put pine needles.

Okay well I'm going to ask again in the morning about bringing the ducks home. I'm hoping my mom will be in a better mood. I'll suprise her with breakfast and coffee
cool.png

I don't mind the ground being destroyed as we barely use that part of the yard. I don't think I can make much more of a run right now unless my dad offers to make it bigger but if he does offer to make it bigger I have a small pond and they can have to swim in. I also have a high power pump that could keep the water flowing and easily empty the pond out for cleaning. I will try to get pea gravel tomorrow. Also does anyone have any ideas how I can block off the front of the run from my neighbours?

They don't need anything as big as a pond or even kiddie pool for everyday. Lowes and Home Depot sell concrete mixing bins that hold 25 gallons and are big enough for 2 ducks to hang out in at the same time. They are 3 feet long and 2 feet wide. They also make ones that are smaller. And yes, the more space the better but do what you can. There are parts of the run mine don't even use!

Back
Top Bottom