Duck coop

duckncover

Duck Obsessed
15 Years
Jan 17, 2009
North Eastern PA
Is a nice sized dog coop attached to a run big enough for two ducks? I'm building a run onto a dog coop for my ducks who are coming back home soon. They were staying at a friends but she is very busy with her own birds and doesn't need to worry about mine. I'm planning on putting a big plant or something to block the neighbours from seeing in the coop in the front. Any ideas? I still have a little more of the top of the run to do but I should handle that tommorrow. I eventually want to put my small pond in there for them but not until spring when I have things figured out better. These ducks are scared of me so I'm really hoping they have ducklings that I could make friendly. How can I encourage egg laying and breeding behavior?

Here is the unfinished coop+run
21337_p1010048.jpg

Here is the front side I want to block from view.
21337_p1010049.jpg

Here is the inside. I have 2 food/water dishes and milk crate for sleeping in.
21337_p1010051.jpg

Last edited:
The house should be big enough for two ducks. The run is a little small and will get yucky quickly. I would build a door with a lock onto that if I were you. I'd worry about night time predators. My two boys sleep in a big rubbermaid tote I modified for them and it keeps them perfectly safe and cozy at night. Now I'm working on a duck house for them and their 2 girlfriends that will be joining them this weekend.

Okay next question.. how do I clean the soil once it gets yucky? With a hose? or should I lay down some apsen shavings? Hay is out of the question, I'm slightly allergic.

I reckon that should easily big enough the door sugested would be an excellent add on. If you could mount the house on skies or something and move it around so you could hose of the poop and stuff would workinstead of scooping shavings evey couple of days
hmm.png

My ducks are in a 240 sq ft dirt run and it never gets yucky. I will occasionally spray the ground with a hose to soften it and get the bugs to come to the surface. Pea gravel would be a good choice. You can just hose it off everyday or so. Putting the house on skids is a good idea. Will they be able to free range at all? That helps to distribute some of the poop. Also, the biggest contributing stink factor with the ducks is the dirty water. If you only let them have swimming water a couple times a week that will help. Just make sure they have a deep bucket for them to drink from. As for the inside of the house, I prefer pine pellets. I cut an indoor/outdoor rug to fit the bottom of their tote and a couple inches up the sides. Then I added 2 inches of pine pellets. When it gets nasty (and it takes a while if they don't eat or drink in the house) I pull the rug out, dump the pellets, hose off the rug and leave it to line dry. In the new house I'll be building I'm going to use pea gravel inside (no floor) with a layer of hay or straw for softness. Then I'll just remove the yucky hay and hose the gravel.

not to be ignorant...but they need more space, and ducks need water, more than a bowl full to be happy. if you want friendly ducks, that produce eggs...give the space, and a kiddie pool even, dont let them feel as if they are in jail.

Back
Top Bottom