Duck Danger Call

I've never had ducks or geese, but I've found that young roosters give lots of false alarm calls. As they mature and learn what is and isn't a threat then they give more accurate alarms.
To me it sounds like your geese know what they're doing. My guess is that your ducks will learn to follow their example eventually to impress their girls with their good danger senses.

I've never heard a duck danger call. Can you record it and post here?

My ducks occasionally go quiet when a nearby bird sounds an alarm, but they mostly ignore other birds. My pekins chatter away to each other and the muscovies at all times of the day or night but the only definite call I hear is along the lines of "It's me! I'm here! I'm full of beans". The one that seems to be saying "I'm top duck" gets on the muscovies nerves and gets chased away when he is too loud and in the muscovies' faces.

Last edited:
Have you noticed anything out there that could be triggering this? I usually hear the danger call from my ducks when a predator is flying over head. My roosters will sound the alarm and everyone takes cover.
I haven't seen any predators, no rooster has noticed any predators and neither has the geese, and I must say I trust the roosters and geese more than the ducks...

I've never heard a duck danger call. Can you record it and post here?

My ducks occasionally go quiet when a nearby bird sounds an alarm, but they mostly ignore other birds. My pekins chatter away to each other and the muscovies at all times of the day or night but the only definite call I hear is along the lines of "It's me! I'm here! I'm full of beans". The one that seems to be saying "I'm top duck" gets on the muscovies nerves and gets chased away when he is too loud and in the muscovies' faces.
I'll try to get it on video, ducks aren't so fond of me yet since they're new so I sometimes cause the danger call, but even when I'm not there they do it

I've never had ducks or geese, but I've found that young roosters give lots of false alarm calls. As they mature and learn what is and isn't a threat then they give more accurate alarms.
To me it sounds like your geese know what they're doing. My guess is that your ducks will learn to follow their example eventually to impress their girls with their good danger senses.
I do alert the danger call sometimes (I'm very scary doing the chores apperantly) and they are quite young, I really hope it's what you said and that my geese and roosters havent ignored any predators 🤞🤞

I haven't seen any predators, no rooster has noticed any predators and neither has the geese, and I must say I trust the roosters and geese more than the ducks...
When my goose is alert to a danger she just make low one low call ever so often. Most of the time it’s because deer are on the other side of the fence. My Muscovy female make soft noises too if something is flying over head. My rooster is 13 and when he makes the warning believe me everyone listens. Lol

I do alert the danger call sometimes (I'm very scary doing the chores apperantly) and they are quite young, I really hope it's what you said and that my geese and roosters havent ignored any predators 🤞🤞
In my chicken flock if an alarm call is ignored then it typically means there is no danger. If a rooster gives a call because of a possible threat, such as the barn cat, the other roosters might pick it up for a minute and then fall silent. If there is a real danger then it is noticed by one rooster, copied by the others, and then everybody runs for cover.
Sounds to me like the geese have either already assessed the situation and found no danger or look around when the ducks give the call and still find no danger. A danger call is rarely ignored by male poultry. I wouldn't worry about it
But keep watching! It sounds like you are in a great position to watch interesting poultry behaviors!

Back
Top Bottom