ducks digging holes?

widgeon

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
Hi,

I'm a longtime reader first time poster. I recently had 11 pekin ducks in my yard, culled 9 of them for meat and are keeping the remaining 2 as pets and for eggs. I'm wondering...has anybody seen a duck dig a hole? If there's a muddy spot in my yard, the ducks sort of tunnel down into it and make a nice ankle spraining hole in the ground about 12" x 5". I'm thinking maybe they have a vitamin deficiency...or are just playing? Any thoughts?

Phil

Thanks for the replys Gofaster and Sassy,

I had no idea they would do this when I got them. It's such weird behavior. Well, I guess it's not weird when you think of them digging for a bug, but...I thought they were just digging for the heck of it. : )

Since you guys know what i'm talking about...another qeustion. Ever seen them sort of cock their heads to the side randomly, like they're trying to hear you better? Super funny...
lol.png

Quote:
I love it when they tip their heads.

100_5801.jpg

They can not move their eyes like we can so they tip their heads to see things better...
lol.png

I twisted my ankle a few weeks ago in a duck hole. We'd let the grass get too tall and I didn't see it. My ankle still aches.

Yeah, this is something I always try to tell potential owners when they are first thinking about getting ducks. If you can't live with holes in your lawn and mosquito-attracting puddles anywhere water gathers, then you can't live with ducks.

I LOVE all their cute little looks. And the tail wagging when they're excited. Ducks are so adorable I don't caret that they're also slobs.

Yes, that is one of my babies...they grow so fast it is scary!!!!

and the hole thing...............Awww.........'taint nutten!
I own dogs, darn little diggers.
I now wonder if they were preparing my yard for the duck..........making pre dug holes!
roll.png
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom