Duck Dilemma, to Cayuga or not to Cayuga?

Here is a photo of my oldest duck Chiharu, he is about 9 years old he is also the dad to Haru and Maria. View attachment 3105399
View attachment 3105397
View attachment 3105411View attachment 3105456
From what I have read Chiharu means a thousand springs or something like that in Japanese.
And Haru just means spring or something.

This is Totoro, she is about 8 give or take she is the mother to Haru and Maria, she hatched them all herself.
View attachment 3105405
View attachment 3105414View attachment 3105415

This is Haru, he is 4 years old he is Totoro and Chiharu's son.
View attachment 3105455View attachment 3105459View attachment 3105485View attachment 3105495

This is Maria she was about 3 years old when she passed away. She was Haru's sister.
Sadly I don't have very many photos of her.
She is in the middle.
View attachment 3105511

I definitely think cayugas are one of the best ducks to have, Totoro is pretty loud when she wants to be, the drakes are pretty quiet of course they are though drakes can't quack. Although I feel their squacks hurt my ears sometimes if they both make noise at the same time.
Totoro tried hatching eggs quit a few other times before she hatched Haru and Maria but never could hatch any.
When she hatched Haru and Maria, our set up was way different then it is now.
Totoro did a great job taking care of Haru and Maria, I didn't have the heart to separate them from her so they were outside there whole lives Totoro, gave them her shy duckness. Especially Maria she was a lot like her mom.

I hope you enjoy whatever ducks you get and that everything goes well for you!
I love your Miyazaki theme names. :-D Your ducks are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom