Duck disappeared- help!

Lola1609

Chirping
May 1, 2020
UK 🇬🇧
Hi there, last night when I went to put the girls to bed, there was no sign of them free ranging as usual. When I looked inside the coop, my hen and one duck were in there, they didn’t seem distressed or anything but I immediately feared the worst- the ducks never separate.
We searched high and low, all over the paddock and neighbouring cow field, the road and ditches too. No sign of her.

There was a small group of maybe 5 very small downy feathers, not sure if they’re hers or not as she doesn’t usually lose the downy ones and I expected more from a fox or badger attack. However, I’ve never kept birds before so have no idea really what to expect! she is an Indian runner duck and I assumed (as she’s quite large) there’d be more evidence of an attack.

my partner had returned home earlier that evening and gone into our paddock where they free range and he could see the hen and the other duck lower down near the coop but not the other and assumed she was further up near some reeds. This strikes me as strange that the others weren’t scared?! Deep down I feel a fox has got her but I wondered if anyone knew of ducks disappearing then appearing after a while or if it’s possible an attack can leave barely a trace, even for a biggish girl!

heartbroken to say the least- here are my girls only 2 days ago 💔 they were raised from chicks as a 3. Will they be ok with their 3rd musketeer gone or do I need more members of the flock?

Attachments

• A13DCF50-ED46-43F7-BAF0-8A0C7FBF6508.jpeg
    A13DCF50-ED46-43F7-BAF0-8A0C7FBF6508.jpeg
    509 KB · Views: 61
Nothing much you can do but wait and see. I don't think they would separate for long - by choice. You would probably hear it quacking loudly if it was lost.

If it was a fox, it would have been eager to get out of sight if it was hunting during the day. It might have grabbed it and ran. I do believe that what ever it might have been knows where more food is and might come back. You should keep a close eye out for your others, even lock them up securely.

Is the duck quacking a lot without its duck friend?

It was most likely a fox and snatched the duck and ran. Sometimes they leave a lot of feathers but that is usually with chickens. Ducks are much easier to catch and kill with that one chomp.
And the remaining birds probably had no clue what happened since they were out free ranging. I would not let the two others free range because the fox will be back for more. Sometimes they kill them all at once and return later, so you are lucky the fox only took one.

I caught the fox with my runner duck in its mouth, I chased and the fox let her go, but she was already dead.

Nothing much you can do but wait and see. I don't think they would separate for long - by choice. You would probably hear it quacking loudly if it was lost.

If it was a fox, it would have been eager to get out of sight if it was hunting during the day. It might have grabbed it and ran. I do believe that what ever it might have been knows where more food is and might come back. You should keep a close eye out for your others, even lock them up securely.

Is the duck quacking a lot without its duck friend?
I do think deep down I know she’s been taken but I can’t help still be in a little bit of denial or have hope... after today, I don’t think she will be returning home though. I’m devastated, she was a gentle and affectionate bird.

I have kept the other 2 locked securely in their run today. The weather is thick mist/fog so I think a fox may feel more confident to do a day-time snatch in this.

The other duck is not overly noisy, she is eating still and acting normal. I have noticed her and the hen have been sticking together today for naps.

I’m cautious to get another duck/hen friend for more company since they were hatched together as a 3 and I’m unsure how they would all bond. In your opinion, do you think the duck needs another duck and maybe another hen? Thanks for taking time to reply too :)

It was most likely a fox and snatched the duck and ran. Sometimes they leave a lot of feathers but that is usually with chickens. Ducks are much easier to catch and kill with that one chomp.
And the remaining birds probably had no clue what happened since they were out free ranging. I would not let the two others free range because the fox will be back for more. Sometimes they kill them all at once and return later, so you are lucky the fox only took one.

I caught the fox with my runner duck in its mouth, I chased and the fox let her go, but she was already dead.
Gosh it must have been awful for you to see that. I do think I have been extremely lucky to not lose the other duck since they were usually together at all times, even out free ranging. I haven’t let the other 2 free range and won’t be from now on just in case the fox knows where to come. I am devastated to imagine her final moment although it’s the risk of owning them as pets I guess.

can I ask your opinion on whether to get another duck and/or hen to add to the flock? my duck and hen have stuck together today and have always been in a small flock but I worry they may become depressed. Thanks for taking the time to respond :)

Gosh it must have been awful for you to see that. I do think I have been extremely lucky to not lose the other duck since they were usually together at all times, even out free ranging. I haven’t let the other 2 free range and won’t be from now on just in case the fox knows where to come. I am devastated to imagine her final moment although it’s the risk of owning them as pets I guess.

can I ask your opinion on whether to get another duck and/or hen to add to the flock? my duck and hen have stuck together today and have always been in a small flock but I worry they may become depressed. Thanks for taking the time to respond :)
:hugs
That is what always went through my mind...how horrified they were and I was not there to help them. It's painful to think about for sure. I love my birds.
I'm not sure if they realize the other bird is not returning. But you need to make sure your current birds are safe before you add more. You really need electric wire around your fence if you want them to free range.
It's easier than you think and gives so much peace of mind. I currently have poultry netting and it is great. If I can learn how to do it, anyone can.

I do think deep down I know she’s been taken but I can’t help still be in a little bit of denial or have hope... after today, I don’t think she will be returning home though. I’m devastated, she was a gentle and affectionate bird.

I have kept the other 2 locked securely in their run today. The weather is thick mist/fog so I think a fox may feel more confident to do a day-time snatch in this.

The other duck is not overly noisy, she is eating still and acting normal. I have noticed her and the hen have been sticking together today for naps.

I’m cautious to get another duck/hen friend for more company since they were hatched together as a 3 and I’m unsure how they would all bond. In your opinion, do you think the duck needs another duck and maybe another hen? Thanks for taking time to reply too :)
It's never nice loosing a bird, especially when you have so few.

I think the chicken and duck will keep each other company. Adding another bird might break the peace... Maybe after you give yourself some time to think about it, but then the whole introduction process might just be more stress for you! But I might be a little bias because I have so many birds as is and winced a little when you mentioned getting more. 😅

A fence is good to consider to have them free range - and add more to the flock. But, that's more commitment, you'll have to dedicate yourself then, and you might get hooked! Haha

It's never nice loosing a bird, especially when you have so few.

I think the chicken and duck will keep each other company. Adding another bird might break the peace... Maybe after you give yourself some time to think about it, but then the whole introduction process might just be more stress for you! But I might be a little bias because I have so many birds as is and winced a little when you mentioned getting more. 😅

A fence is good to consider to have them free range - and add more to the flock. But, that's more commitment, you'll have to dedicate yourself then, and you might get hooked! Haha
Haha the worry is that I will get hooked and end up with lots of them... however, I do think that a couple more might be nice especially now we have worked on giving them a secure area. So I will start with a couple more... ;)

we have dug down and placed galvanised wire fencing, not chicken wire but sturdier stuff. We have used this around the entire area, and given it a solid Perspex roof as well as pallets on one end to provide extra shade. It’s looking pretty good and they seem happy with the space (approx 2m x 8m) :) even if my other half is now half crippled from the manual labour:lol:

A fox took my most favorite bird during the middle of the day while she was dust bathing in one of the garden beds. I did find feathers but never found her. Our land is open pasture. Across the street is woods and thick brush. The trail of feathers headed towards the woods. I was painting on the coops and the fox sneakily took her. The fox was showing up pretty regularly. I did eliminate it. It was a female but didn't appear to have any kits, was mangy and was stinky. Shortly after that another fox was showing up on my game cameras at night. Here the predators mostly roam at night. That's when I usually see them on the game cameras.

Back
Top Bottom