Duck / Dog habitat

duckdog

Chirping
Jun 8, 2022
I haven't found a firm answer on duck poop. I hope that my young dog and ducklings form a strong bond and when the ducks are grown I can let them forage in the dog's 30 x 18 foot dog pen which the dog has access to via a doggy door in the house backdoor. Yet my second concern after if they will be able to bond, is the duck poop. I don't want the dog to get sick, nor roll around in it. Will 3 ducks poop to the point that keeping up cleaning after them will become unattainable? Do they poop constantly? Or can they be put on a schedule like a dog? I know these are odd questions, but finding out know will allow for me to build the best habitat I can. Thanks.

I haven't found a firm answer on duck poop. I hope that my young dog and ducklings form a strong bond and when the ducks are grown I can let them forage in the dog's 30 x 18 foot dog pen which the dog has access to via a doggy door in the house backdoor. Yet my second concern after if they will be able to bond, is the duck poop. I don't want the dog to get sick, nor roll around in it. Will 3 ducks poop to the point that keeping up cleaning after them will become unattainable? Do they poop constantly? Or can they be put on a schedule like a dog? I know these are odd questions, but finding out know will allow for me to build the best habitat I can. Thanks.
Ducks poop CONSTANTLY and I cannot stress that enough. If numbers are your thing, they poop on "average" every 15 minutes but never go longer than that without pooping. When I watch mine, seems they poop closer to every 5-10 minutes depending on what they are doing.

Duck poop is usually a semi-liquid consistency due to their water intake and the fact they both poop/pee from the same hole which would make it very difficult to clean up out of a yard of grass. Ducks poop a lot and can not control when or where they poop. Also ducks are prey animals while dogs are predators. I am not saying it isn't possible, but it is very rare for ducks to bond with a dog nor would I push it. I have a small sheltie (15.5" high at the shoulder) and my ducks tolerate him and he can walk by them without them freaking out, but they are by no means bonded or friends.

Last edited:
Ducks poop CONSTANTLY and I cannot stress that enough. If numbers are your thing, they poop on "average" every 15 minutes but never go longer than that without pooping. When I watch mine, seems they poop closer to every 5-10 minutes depending on what they are doing.
Thank you, you don't understand how hard it was to find an answer. I only could find that they poop a lot, but no measure whatsoever.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom