duck drowned in kiddy pool

m5thfl

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2015
Hello,
This morning We were outside messing with the fence. 2 ducks jumped out of the pool and I heard a lot of splashing. I checked and my duck was on her back with her head under the water kicking and trying to turn herself over. I grabbed her and flipped her over. She just layed there. I thought she was dead. I picked her up and sat with her for about 15 minutes.
This afternoon the duck died. We were gone and when we got back DD found her in the pool. Probably should have drained it but she had seemed ok.
Does anyone have any idea what could have caused it. She's full grown and they know how to use the ramp but sometimes they just go over the edge.
Thank you.

Hello,
This morning We were outside messing with the fence. 2 ducks jumped out of the pool and I heard a lot of splashing. I checked and my duck was on her back with her head under the water kicking and trying to turn herself over. I grabbed her and flipped her over. She just layed there. I thought she was dead. I picked her up and sat with her for about 15 minutes.
This afternoon the duck died. We were gone and when we got back DD found her in the pool. Probably should have drained it but she had seemed ok.
Does anyone have any idea what could have caused it. She's full grown and they know how to use the ramp but sometimes they just go over the edge.
Thank you.
it is probably a male. They hold the female down and drown the female. I just had 3 ducks die because of the males. Now I separated 3 males and ironically a hawk killed one. Not real happy but that's one less male that I have to watch I will miss him he was handsome.8

I totally agree with Chris 0117, duck hens are often drowned by Drakes. Drakes prefer to breed on water, and often other males will join in - their weight pushes the female under the water and they couldn't care less.

Adult ducks can definitely drown..I've had a few instances where I've had to wrap ducks in a towel because they've appeared hypothermic and I've blown them dry with a blow dryer and held them until theit eyes appeared normal.

I've never had one on its back before..maybe she couldn't flip back over after being turned around? The boys can be brutal.

Adult ducks can definitely drown..I've had a few instances where I've had to wrap ducks in a towel because they've appeared hypothermic and I've blown them dry with a blow dryer and held them until theit eyes appeared normal.

I've never had one on its back before..maybe she couldn't flip back over after being turned around? The boys can be brutal.
if a duck loses their oil glands due to injury or sicknessetc.a duck can easily drown. If they look like their sinking get them out right away! Males cause internal injuries and drowning especially if it's a deeper posted then they will did quicker...chris0117

Back
Top Bottom