duck drowned in kiddy pool

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by m5thfl, Jul 22, 2016.

1. m5thfl

m5thfl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2015
    Hello,
    This morning We were outside messing with the fence. 2 ducks jumped out of the pool and I heard a lot of splashing. I checked and my duck was on her back with her head under the water kicking and trying to turn herself over. I grabbed her and flipped her over. She just layed there. I thought she was dead. I picked her up and sat with her for about 15 minutes.
    This afternoon the duck died. We were gone and when we got back DD found her in the pool. Probably should have drained it but she had seemed ok.
    Does anyone have any idea what could have caused it. She's full grown and they know how to use the ramp but sometimes they just go over the edge.
    Thank you.

2. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    She was a full grown duck!?!
    That sounds interesting and odd.
    I lost a duckling in a kiddie pool, and I don't know how to this day.]

-BCP

3. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    She may have had a seizure in the pool or been otherwise ill and drowned as a result.

2 people like this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

It could be possible that your other Ducks held her under? My two Drakes try and drown each other in my kiddie pool. They also try and mate the hens in the pool.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  5. chris0117

chris0117 Just Hatched

Jul 23, 2016
    it is probably a male. They hold the female down and drown the female. I just had 3 ducks die because of the males. Now I separated 3 males and ironically a hawk killed one. Not real happy but that's one less male that I have to watch I will miss him he was handsome.8

6. chris0117

chris0117 Just Hatched

Jul 23, 2016
    That's a girl first one could be boy

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It could have been another duck, but you say she was on her back flailing around . . . that sounds like a seizure to me.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I totally agree with Chris 0117, duck hens are often drowned by Drakes. Drakes prefer to breed on water, and often other males will join in - their weight pushes the female under the water and they couldn't care less.

9. sallysinnamon

sallysinnamon Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    south eastern
    Adult ducks can definitely drown..I've had a few instances where I've had to wrap ducks in a towel because they've appeared hypothermic and I've blown them dry with a blow dryer and held them until theit eyes appeared normal.

I've never had one on its back before..maybe she couldn't flip back over after being turned around? The boys can be brutal.

10. chris0117

chris0117 Just Hatched

Jul 23, 2016
    if a duck loses their oil glands due to injury or sicknessetc.a duck can easily drown. If they look like their sinking get them out right away! Males cause internal injuries and drowning especially if it's a deeper posted then they will did quicker...chris0117

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by