Duck egg binding please help

BelValleyDaisy

Songster
Oct 10, 2015
UK
Hello!
My duck Valley has recently been struggling with passing her eggs and I really need some advice on what to do for her ... She is a 4 year old (5 on June 2nd) rouen clair duck and i've had her since she was a day old. She usually lays an egg every other day and recently on a few occasions the hard shelled eggs that she has laid are HUGE!! Like goose egg size, albeit i've only had one like this in the past 2 weeks
We do not have any male ducks, she lives with her 3 sisters, one of which is an indian runner and the other two are call ducks.
Since the beginning of the year i've noticed she has been struggling more to pass the eggs but over the past couple of months she has been laying mostly soft shelled eggs which put her through a lot of pain. She will sit in her water bowl wincing, barely able to walk.. Now she does always manage to pass the egg in the end, but it takes hours and leaves her water a yucky white/grey bubbly colour. When I catch her in this state i put her in her bath as i heard that helps egg bound hens

She is fed on layers pellets alongside crushed egg shells and because of the soft shelled eggs I have been adding Zolcal D calcium supplement to her water... But i'm still not too sure it's even helping as her eggs are still soft shelled.
I know there is an implant/injection you can get - When our other duck Dinky had a prolapse a few years ago we looked into getting it and our local vet said they could. I can't even remember what the hormone was called but with this- has anyone else had it? Does it work? Is it ethically right or did it cause your ducks unecessary stress / side effects? I'm really trying to weigh up whether i should consider this as an option

If not the injection, what else would you duck owners recommend? I really just want to get Valley back on track

Thankyou!!

Back
Top Bottom