1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

duck egg color?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Missy317, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Missy317

Missy317 New Egg

Apr 18, 2013
    I have 4 ducks.Two Peking one female and one is a drake and two roeuns both female. I get Two white eggs in my coop and one green where ever she decides to drop it.I was wondering if I have mix breeds as everything I have read says Peking lay white and roeuns lay green.It doesn't add up lol Either my Peking(Olivia) is laying two a day and my Roeuns (shugg and Celie) are taking turns! Any answers would be helpful.
    thanks
    Missy

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I have Rouens that lay white. If you *really* want to know who is laying which egg, get some liquid food coloring, assign each girl a color and give her a single drop in the vent. I do this in the later evening. The next day, when she lays, her egg will be tinted with the color you assigned her. Yellow doesn't always show up so well, so you might be wise to avoid yellow. Do this and you'll know for sure.

3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Pekins are known to lay only white eggs.
    Rouens, on the other hand, can lay white or green. Only a small percentage of rouens will lay green eggs, but it sounds like you have one of them!
    Pictures would be helpful in determining if you have mixes or not, but the fact that she lays a green egg doesn't mean she isn't pure :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by