New_Hatcher13

Hatching
Jul 4, 2023
Posting hoping for some answers as Google has been completely useless with this particular issue.
I rescued an abandoned duck egg and made an incubator, with lamp for heat, water tray under lamp and a damp cloth near egg for humidity, turning the egg around 5 times a day. All seemed to be fine to begin with, I had discernable growth at Day 4, I could see the veins and a little dot in the middle.
However at one point I did move things around a little and think the egg was too close to the lamp, it felt kind of hot, so I moved everything back to how I had it but the embryo didn't grow any further by day 6, I couldn't see any new veins, but I swear I could see the few veins already there pulsing as though they were pumping blood.
There's no blood ring and no smell, so I'm really not sure what's going on. It's day 8 now, will be candling again later.
Is this poor ducky a goner?

Since you found the egg is it possible it was left in the nest after the other ducklings left with mama duck? Can you get a candling pic up?

Since you found the egg is it possible it was left in the nest after the other ducklings left with mama duck? Can you get a candling pic up?
I'm not able to get a pic as I use my phone light for candling 😓
The egg was in the middle of a field, about 50 feet away from the pond, it wasn't in a nest, just on the grass. I waited a long time before picking it up, no ducks went anywhere near it. There were no new ducklings at the pond either.
(I only picked it up because I feared the mother wouldn't return to it as a lot of dogs are walked in that area and then it would end up getting stepped on and destroyed)
It's growth matched day 4 on the candling charts I've seen after I'd incubated it for 4 days. It just hasn't visibly grown since then but looks like it might still be alive 😕

Without pictures it’s hard for us to tell for sure
One thing for sure is if you see veins there is life
Do you have a flashlight ? Or able to borrow or grab one even from a dollar store that way we can better see what’s going on
I might have a small LED flashlight somewhere, if that would work? I'm candling again this evening anyway, so will try and put pictures up then, if I can find it.
I am worried that it looks stuck to one side of the egg, maybe that's what's causing the problem?

So this isn't an egg from domestic ducks, but rather from wild ducks?
That is correct, I am aware of the laws surrounding the conservation of wild birds and their eggs. I was certain the mother was not returning and the egg was not in a nest. My intention was to hopefully hatch the egg and return the duck to the wild.

I might have a small LED flashlight somewhere, if that would work? I'm candling again this evening anyway, so will try and put pictures up then, if I can find it.
I am worried that it looks stuck to one side of the egg, maybe that's what's causing the problem?
Usually that means not turned but you have been hand turning
The only other reason it will look like that is the baby has passed but you won’t see veins once that happens
Yes a led light will work

Back
Top Bottom