Duck egg hatching questions!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AshleyFishy, Oct 19, 2010.

1. AshleyFishy

AshleyFishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    East Texas
    Hello there! I've hatched a few sets of chicken eggs and have moved now to duck eggs. My eggs are on their 21st day!!! My question though is for when we get to lockdown is it best to lay the eggs down or upright in egg cartons???

2. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Duck Eggs hatch at 28 days, so lockdown would be day 26 [​IMG]

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Lay down.

4. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I have had good luck with putting them in egg cartons. Sometimes you have to reach in and lay them on their side once they've zipped if they are having a hard time getting up and out, but most of the time they make it on their own. I cut a hole in the bottom of the egg cartons so there is just a frame for them to sit in. I'm always afraid they will pip at the wrong end... but so far it has worked good for me. There are a lot of people that have been incubating eggs longer than me though... so I would listen to those people. I started putting them in egg cartons at the same time I bought a new digital incubator... so the success could have more to do with that.

5. AshleyFishy

Jan 8, 2010
    East Texas
    Quote:I'm aware but thank you.

6. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California

Ohhh...lol I thought you were saying that it was day 21 (hatch day for chickens) and nothing was happening....misread ANOTHER thing today [​IMG]

7. AshleyFishy

Jan 8, 2010
    East Texas

Ohhh...lol I thought you were saying that it was day 21 (hatch day for chickens) and nothing was happening....misread ANOTHER thing today [​IMG]

No worries figured that was it. Sooo up or down is best?

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have found that laying down is better- it is the more natural way that they are if in a nest as well. I incubate my duck eggs laying down for the whole 28 days now and find they always hatch better than when I had them standing up in an auto turner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by