Duck egg hatching questions!

AshleyFishy

Songster
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
East Texas
Hello there! I've hatched a few sets of chicken eggs and have moved now to duck eggs. My eggs are on their 21st day!!! My question though is for when we get to lockdown is it best to lay the eggs down or upright in egg cartons???

Duck Eggs hatch at 28 days, so lockdown would be day 26
wink.png

I have had good luck with putting them in egg cartons. Sometimes you have to reach in and lay them on their side once they've zipped if they are having a hard time getting up and out, but most of the time they make it on their own. I cut a hole in the bottom of the egg cartons so there is just a frame for them to sit in. I'm always afraid they will pip at the wrong end... but so far it has worked good for me. There are a lot of people that have been incubating eggs longer than me though... so I would listen to those people. I started putting them in egg cartons at the same time I bought a new digital incubator... so the success could have more to do with that.

Quote:
I'm aware but thank you.

Ohhh...lol I thought you were saying that it was day 21 (hatch day for chickens) and nothing was happening....misread ANOTHER thing today
tongue2.gif

Quote:
I'm aware but thank you.

Ohhh...lol I thought you were saying that it was day 21 (hatch day for chickens) and nothing was happening....misread ANOTHER thing today
tongue2.gif

No worries figured that was it. Sooo up or down is best?

I have found that laying down is better- it is the more natural way that they are if in a nest as well. I incubate my duck eggs laying down for the whole 28 days now and find they always hatch better than when I had them standing up in an auto turner.

Back
Top Bottom