Duck Egg Have A Dark Patch

MRae_32

Hatching
May 27, 2020
My friend had a duck nest at her house the ducklings hatched last Tuesday and she left 1 behind she took the egg in and has been keeping it warm but then all of a sudden the egg had a big grey patch on it does anyone know what this could mean?!
608478C1-3121-4918-B971-4BB36248F3ED.png

Attachments

• B3C80AC7-2EB2-40A5-9323-662CAAB50F6E.png
    B3C80AC7-2EB2-40A5-9323-662CAAB50F6E.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 2
I'm going to say that looks like decay, especially since the ducklings hatched last Tuesday.

Dark spots in duck eggs often mean bacterial growth (They can mean a misplaced pip, but that is not a localised little pip).

I'm going to say that looks like decay, especially since the ducklings hatched last Tuesday.

Dark spots in duck eggs often mean bacterial growth (They can mean a misplaced pip, but that is not a localised little pip).

should we try cracking it open or wait a bit longer?

should we try cracking it open or wait a bit longer?
I'd probably have already thrown it out at this point, but if you're still worried that it may be alive, candle. Go into a dark room, take a bright flashlight, hold it against the fat end of the egg, and see what it illuminates. Healthy eggs look like these ones
https://www.metzerfarms.com/Candling.cfm

Unhealthy eggs have no orange or movement in them at all, and may be filled with liquid (depending on when the duckling died, or if there was ever a duckling in the first place.)

Back
Top Bottom