Duck egg, is it alive?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sarahmf, Feb 14, 2013.

1. sarahmf

sarahmf New Egg

Feb 14, 2013
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    Here are pics of one of my duck eggs. im new to this and i am not sure what im seeing when i candle the eggs. Is this a good sign of growth? The collage is going from day 4 or 5 days down to the first day.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  2. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    You won't really be able to see anything until day 9.

3. sarahmf

sarahmf New Egg

Feb 14, 2013
    Texas
    Oh, ok, thanks for responding :) I will try and post pics again tomorrow, which will be day 9.

4. sarahmf

sarahmf New Egg

Feb 14, 2013
    Texas
    Also, I rescued the eggs and I don't know what breed they are. I'm in central Texas and I've seen a variety of breeds around. My concern is, when they get to 25 days, if I stop turning, will it be bad for the eggs if they are Muscovy eggs? Because I know they take longer to hatch. I know I have a while before they reach that point, but I'd just like to know.

5. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    Hmmm, that's tricky. How did you find them? Where? Have you seen some ducks visiting the spot you got them from? You should search different kinds of eggs and how to tell them apart. As for hurting them, I've no clue.

6. sarahmf

sarahmf New Egg

Feb 14, 2013
    Texas
    Well they were actually in a creek, which I know may mean that they may have drowned, but im giving them a chance anyway. They appear to have been thrown, I found broken ones scattered nearby as well. Anyway the creek has pretty much every kind of duck and even some geese that live there. I've tried to see if I can identify them, but because they're just a generic off white color, I don't think I'll be able to identify the eggs.

7. sarahmf

sarahmf New Egg

Feb 14, 2013
    Texas
    Here is one of the eggs on day 9. It's not a great pic. The air cell has been growing but I don't see veins. Is it alive? [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm thinking you'd be seeing something similar to this if it was. [​IMG]this is taken from Celtic Oaks farm.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  9. sarahmf

sarahmf New Egg

Feb 14, 2013
    Texas
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'll give it more time just in case though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by