Duck Egg Please Help!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thatduckguyy, Jul 25, 2011.

1. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Today is day 8 of incubation. The incubator started to get smelly, 5 out of 6 eggs are fine though. One of them has a big black spot in it, I noticed this while candling. Also this egg is much heavier! What is going on? Is it dead? Should I throw it out? Its a bit smelly too. I have been hearing that humidity can make eggs smell.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    If it's smelly it needs to go. Smell each to be sure.

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yup, that really sounds like it's a bad one. Chuck it out, the sooner the better. The only smell you should get from your bator is a very faint 'warm egg' smell. Like if you crack an eating egg into a bowl and give it a sniff. And most of the time, you probably won't even smell that much! Anything whiffy, like bad eggs, old fish, pongy feet etc, is a sign that you have a Rotten Egg [​IMG] that you must deal with as soon as you notice it.

When your chicks pip and start to hatch you'll probably notice a vague whiff of blood and mucus, which maybe isn't the most pleasant, but you learn to welcome it as it always accompanies hatching chickies, and in any case it's still not a hundredth as yeurky as a proper Rotten Egg...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by