Duck egg question

themightysteph

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Oregon
My two ducks just started laying eggs last week. I have two drakes and two ducks(hen) but I have many size variations to the eggs. On duck lays green sharp oval eggs (the three in bottom left corner) and the other lays pink regular shaped but giant eggs but all 4 very in size. The egg that is buy it's self is a chicken egg for reference. shouldn't one ducks eggs be constant in size or should I expect this every time they lay eggs?

Last edited:
The answer is in your first statement. As egg-laying systems develop, there are a number of irregular eggs. Tiny eggs, yolkless eggs, double-yolkers, etc.

Pay close attention - your drake to duck ratio is high. That means the ducks could be getting too much "attention" from the drakes and that can be harmful or in worst cases, fatal. It is not 100% guaranteed to be a big problem, but it could. You need to protect your ducks. If they are getting mated too much by the drakes, separate them right away and then decide on a longer term solution. You could try to rehome a drake (I get so attached, I understand that is not a first choice for many) or get more females.

I have 4 ducklings still in brooder not sure of the sexes yet. I read that ducks are monogamist I only see the males chasing each other. And when can I tell if they become broody?

Not sure what monogamist means - -

But about the broodiness, wow, you can tell. First, they want to sit on a nest with eggs. And they give you the broody stink-eye. They run around with their mouths open, heads, down, in circles. They won't get off the nest but a couple of times a day, and when they do, they make a real eye-burner of a poop. They eat, drink, maybe swim and then run back on the nest. If kept away from the nest, my broodies will complain and complain.

Back
Top Bottom