Duck Egg Size

Right now I buy cartons of Tractor Supply and my duck eggs fit in there with room to spare. But again my eggs are not going over 70 grams in general right now. But today I did get some larger looking ones. Maybe I needed to talk about it! Off to go weigh these bad boys!

I think I should experiment with keeping them in the coop for an entire day. Keep them watered and little snacks so they don't get bored and maybe I have a few ducks that like to lay in the afternoon?
Its not a bad idea. I had to keep my birds in till about 3 in the afternoon everyday for about a week last year. I had had one that was laying out in the garden and wanted to get her laying in the nest boxes. It worked. I know my ducks were not really happy about it but they had a kiddie pond and food nest boxes and I brought in a clean kitty litter pan of compost for them to dig through. They seemed a bit bored by the pen confinement but I got the girls who had been a problem, laying in the boxes and haven't had a problem since.

My pekins are 25 weeks old. One started laying in early September and the others have joined in since then. Except I am only getting 3 or 4 eggs a day. So I may have one that has not started yet. The duck that started laying first is actually the smallest and she is laying really big eggs. They are much bigger than chicken eggs. The eggs from the most recent starters are chicken egg size. The big eggs don't fit well in the carton.

The shells are thicker or tougher which might also effect the weight of the egg a little. They are heavier though.

The thicker shells make for great hard boiled eggs!
Still getting 4 eggs a day from 5 ducks - egg size is also increasing.
Started with 25 Jumbo Pekins purchased for meat - processed all but 6 and I am going to keep these for eggs and breeders in the spring.

What duck breeds do you have? How long into laying did it take for the eggs to become larger?
I have 2 Muscovies. It took about 2-3 months for the eggs to become consistent in size, but the eggs started getting bigger at about 1 & 1/2 months.
When they first started, I'd get a narrow egg one day, then a fairly round egg, and all in between, I've had huge ones which seem to be a mix of both round and tall, these are the usual ones that make the carton not close.

I'm getting 3 eggs a day from 4 WH 1st years. The frist started laying in mid sept, and the others kicked in in early October. The eggs are about the size of Jumbo chicken eggs right now, and seem to be getting a bit larger over time. I can shut the carton (jumbo chicken egg, from the grocery store), but just barely.

I am happy to report that the eggs are getting a little bigger. 3 of the eggs laid are no longer wiggling in the carton, 1 egg does sometimes and another is still smallish and wiggly daily. Progress!

Back
Top Bottom