Duck egg started to pip one day before lockdown!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazeemomma, Apr 16, 2017.

1. crazeemomma

crazeemomma Just Hatched

Feb 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    I am hoping to hatch baby mallard/ pekin crosses. My lockdown day was tomorrow but when we candled tonight we noticed a few starting to pip. I had to start lockdown early but have a few that look a day or two behind. Will the babies be Ok? Any suggestions or things that I need to look out for? This is my first time incubating eggs.

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    they should be fine, just keep the ones that hatch first in as long as possible (24 hours) before removing. let us know how it works out

3. crazeemomma

crazeemomma Just Hatched

Feb 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    Out of 22 eggs 9 have started to pip. [​IMG] It is very exciting but the wait is driving us crazy. It seems like every time we look at the incubator another one has started. I do have one little one that is popping on the wrong end, so we will just have to wait. I am not going to worry just yet. Thanks for your help.

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I am a hands on hatcher..;)....You can remove the Ducklings after they dry..:).... That way they are not knocking all the other eggs around ..Have the brooder heated and ready..:).....

Best of luck....:).....

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by