1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck egg taking too long to hatch........help please?????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nisaa, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Nisaa

Nisaa Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013
    Hi,
    Its my first time hatching a duck egg and i need help. i found a duck egg on my family's farm.the egg was abandoned.so i decided to take it home and hatch it at home under a heat lamp. i have had the egg for about one month and some more days. the egg has had gradual development.When i candle the egg i can see the embryo in the egg.I also have done the float test on the egg. the egg floated and bubble in the water. also around the egg their were tiny air bubbles as in the embryo was breathing in the egg while in the water.I'm worried because it has taken too much time for the duckling to hatch.... here is a picture of my lil duckling.....please tell me if it is dead or alive?????? the duck egg is under a heat lamp at 98 degrees i have a thermometer.
    [​IMG]
    This is a picture of the back of the egg. bellow is the picture in the front were the embryo can be seen.

[​IMG]
    Here is another picture of the front of the egg....bellow is it....
    [​IMG]

Help please....... Is it dead or alive.......

2. Bodee

Bodee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    How many days has it been under the heat lamp ?

3. Nisaa

Nisaa Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013
    over a month... and from the beginning it had slow development... bc at first i just had it wrapped up in a towel then i placed it under the heat lamp when i saw it wasn't developing fast enough....

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Nisaa I gave you this chart on another thread but can you tell by this how your egg is doing?
    http://wildliferehabber.com/sites/default/files/wr_duckeggchart.jpg

5. Nisaa

Nisaa Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013
    Thank you,
    on the farm their were Muscovy duck also...

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So may very well be a Muscovy egg and they take longer to hatch 35-37 days.

7. Nisaa

Nisaa Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013
    whats the proper position to place the duck egg when candling it.... should
    the flash light line shine from tru the air sac... or one has to candle it from the narrow end pointing
    down.....??? because on the position i candle the egg i get two different picture...???
    Help please....[​IMG]

8. Nisaa

Nisaa Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013
    wel my duckling is deah.i did d snift test today n he failed.ima try a nxt time.thanks for al d help n advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by