duck egg turning blue. . . .under broody duck

GREAT NEWS!!!!

no pip, no zip, no movement BUT I woke up today and saw a tiny ball of yellow in the nest!

not the best picture but I didn't want to move her into the light

I gave our Ducky one egg a day earlier than the rest in case I was wrong about her being broodie and she broke it---that way I could put the others in an incubator---so I looked at the remaining eggs and no sign of pips yet.

I AM BEYOND HAPPY RIGHT NOW
wee.gif
clap.gif
highfive.gif
yesss.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
love.gif

So now I will ask does anyone have any idea what the baby might be? Daddy was Pekin. Mother could be Pekin, Khaki Campbell, or Muscovy. I kinda doubt Muscovy because of the 28th day hatch date. Her beak and feet are paler than her mother's, who is pure pekin. The are a softer color but as far as I know that could be from being so young. Any ideas?

YAY!!! I'm so happy for you!
clap.gif
Congratulations! That is an absolutely beautiful baby! I might guess Pekin x Pekin or Pekin x Campbell, but that's not all that helpful, I guess!
tongue.png
Maybe pure Pekin, but perhaps you just got a light Pekin/Campbell baby. It's cute!

thumbsup.gif

Well, I successfully moved her into a large dog kennel (nesting box, eggs, chick & mom). I took down part of the wire that separates the chicken coop from my feed area. So with this kennel if needed I can access from the feed side or open the door into the chicken coop. She can still see all her chicken friends. She settled in and is still on the nest.
wee.gif
I am still so excited. She doesn't want to come out yet so I cannot see the eggs. Darn---I wonder what is going on in there. I guess when another little fuzzy thing pops it's cute little head up I will know.

Okay, the duck stood up in her nest and I can see a 2nd egg turning blue. I guess that means we lost two. I can't take them out without upsetting her since she has a duckling. I will try tonight. I hope I don't scare her.
I sure wish I knew what I was doing. . . . .

This thread is very helpful. Thank you. We have a Muscovy female and a mallard call drake. A couple months ago she tried to hatch some eggs, but they ended up turning blue :-(

This thread is very helpful. Thank you. We have a Muscovy female and a mallard call drake. A couple months ago she tried to hatch some eggs, but they ended up turning blue :-(
I think the more I read, and the more BYC members that reply, I am sure blue egg = dead duckling.
I don't understand what exactly has happened to the shell. Since I am new to ducks I am just learning everything as I go along. I read a lot before I started with ducks but living with them seems to be the best teacher.
I am sad for the ones that didn't make it but I may still have two good eggs.
fl.gif

Yes, I'm not sure what is "blue." Maybe it has something to do with the veins in the membrane??? At least four of my five eggs that died at the end turned blue. I opened them after I was pretty sure they weren't going to hatch. None smelled really bad, even inside. I think they'd died within the last few days - they'd been alive at least one week before the hatch date, most probably quite a bit longer.

I hope your last two eggs hatch!
fl.gif
How's mama doing with her baby?

Yes, I'm not sure what is "blue." Maybe it has something to do with the veins in the membrane??? At least four of my five eggs that died at the end turned blue. I opened them after I was pretty sure they weren't going to hatch. None smelled really bad, even inside. I think they'd died within the last few days - they'd been alive at least one week before the hatch date, most probably quite a bit longer.

I hope your last two eggs hatch!
fl.gif
How's mama doing with her baby?
She seems to be doing well with her new little one. Tomorrow will be a challenge with the extreme heat. The baby sits beside her as it's too hot. The coop was 94 with fans blowing. I'm ready to move them in the house! She doesn't do change well and I just moved her today. Not sure what to do to help with heat.
I am really hoping for those eggs too. I will let you know.

Back
Top Bottom