Duck egg

SD11

Chirping
Dec 23, 2020
Hi, I have a momma duck siting on a nest of eggs.
Half of them piped and died already still in the egg :(
One is piped right now I can hear it peeping not as much as it was earlier though, its still in there alive but what can I do to keep it alive? Its one of the only eggs left still alive :( thanks

Is it still under momma? How do you know the others died? Did they stop peeping? Its completely normal for them to stop peeping during hatch, they're probably taking a rest before zipping. How long ago did you stop hearing them peep?
Ducklings take forever to hatch, I've read a few threads were it takes days. Let momma do what she does best. What breed?

I know it died because I candled them when she gets off her nest in the morning and night.
They stopped moving and turned green/black. :(

What is zipping?

I know it died because I candled them when she gets off her nest in the morning and night.
They stopped moving and turned green/black. :(

What is zipping?
How long after you heard peeping did you candle and confirm death? Leave them under momma, you never know.
Zipping is when they turn around in the shell, which creates a crack all the way around so they can get out. What breed is your broody?

How long after you heard peeping did you candle and confirm death? Leave them under momma, you never know.
Zipping is when they turn around in the shell, which creates a crack all the way around so they can get out. What breed is your broody?
She is a saxony.
Like 2 days.

Oh wow, what day of incubation are you on? Is momma still on her nest incubating this last egg?
Do you have an incubator? If you do, I would suggest putting the egg in there for you to monitor. Then you can make a safety hole/help him out of the shell if he needs it.
well, believe it or not she is week 26 or more. :oops:
I know its really late but I left them under her anyway and they were doing good. but then they all started dying :hit

Last edited:
Oh well, I think the last one died. :hit:(

It stopped moving and peeping. It's turning yellowish in side the egg too. :(
I'm wondering how long can the momma be off her nest? She goes off twice a day for like 20 minutes in the morning and like 5 in the night. is that okay? maybe that's why they are dying?

All of my successful broody's never left the nest for over 10 minuets. I lock them in a separate pen with in the coop, but still big enough to run around, take a swim in a small bath and eat. So that may be the reason for minimal leaving of the nest.
I never saw my successful broody get off her nest at all, thats how fast she was.
Did you allow the other ducks and drake, (if you have a drake) to go in with her at night? The drake will get angry that she's been in there the whole time, and will do the humpy dumpty at night. Maybe that caused a problem if you let them together?
Assuming she was also able to take a swim in water correct? If not, thats very important as they have to be abel to get their breast feathers wet for humidity.
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what happened here, hopefully some experts will come soon to offer suggestions. I'm sorry they died.

All of my successful broody's never left the nest for over 10 minuets. I lock them in a separate pen with in the coop, but still big enough to run around, take a swim in a small bath and eat. So that may be the reason for minimal leaving of the nest.
I never saw my successful broody get off her nest at all, thats how fast she was.
Did you allow the other ducks and drake, (if you have a drake) to go in with her at night? The drake will get angry that she's been in there the whole time, and will do the humpy dumpty at night. Maybe that caused a problem if you let them together?
Assuming she was also able to take a swim in water correct? If not, thats very important as they have to be abel to get their breast feathers wet for humidity.
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what happened here, hopefully some experts will come soon to offer suggestions. I'm sorry they died.
Thanks for your help!
I do let the other ducks and drake in with her at night I just keep her behind a small fence so they can't get at her.

Back
Top Bottom