Duck eggs...Cooling & Misting questions

Irajoe

Songster
11 Years
Jan 3, 2009
South Carolina
Could sure use the insights from folks who have successfully incubated duck eggs. Chicken eggs we know...duck eggs we have no experience.

We just placed 17 in the incubator today. 99.5 degrees and 55% humidity. I don't know the specific type of duck...the eggs were given to us by a friend who has been rescuing the deserted eggs over the past 5 days from hungry turtles.

I've read conflicting information on both the daily cooling of the eggs and the need for spraying a warm mist on the eggs.

I'd be grateful if you'd post what worked for you...both in regard to cooling and misting. If you did both or either, did you do them for the entire incubation period?

If my temps or humidity should be any different, please let me know that as well.

Thanks so much for the help!

hmm, without knowing what kind of ducks I'm not sure. But I have hatched Blue Swedish (and black) ducks and Cayuga ducks and don't mist or cool the eggs. The last 3 days I may mist them a bit (1X/day?) and up the humidity to ~70-75%. I've had almost 100% hatches from my own ducks' eggs that way. Hope you have good luck!

Back
Top Bottom