Duck eggs day 22 questions

Ren2014

Blessed Beyond Hope
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Texas
I have 10 duck eggs (WH and Pekin/swedish/KC) on day 23 in the incubator. All 10 are active but 6 of them still have clear bottoms. (top being the air sack) And, I have 1 that is completely dark and looks like it could hatch any day. Is it normal to still have clear areas at this stage? Thank you.

Last edited:
No it is not normal. but you are a ways out. they NEED to absorb that clear liquid at the tips and maybe expect them to be a delayed hatch. I would not mist anymore for a bit if that is what you are doing. You def cannot dry hatch with duck eggs, but too muck water can be bad too. If you are seeing movement and veins you will probably be okay.

Last edited:
No it is not normal. but you are a ways out. they NEED to absorb that clear liquid at the tips and maybe expect them to be a delayed hatch. I would not mist anymore for a bit if that is what you are doing. You def cannot dry hatch with duck eggs, but too muck water can be bad too. If you are seeing movement and veins you will probably be okay.

Thank you so much. I have been misting so I will stop. I've seen good movement in all of them each time I've candled. I thought I heard a peep today but that's not possible this early is it??

seems early to peep.. When they start to pip, it may take a day for them to hatch fully. they are not in distress. and are infact resting and absorbing the yolk and learning to use their lungs.. They do say that something like 90% of pipped eggs will hatch on their own may take 24 hrs.and when they do zip it goes quick when they are ready.

Last edited:
I would assume they will hatch a bit late, so much liquid. I dry hatch chicken eggs and don't even have a hydrometer just add more water after first pip. Ducks need more water but i don't believe in spritzing.

you have a blue chicken in you avatar, what kind? it is lovely.

They are Lavender Orpingtons. They were my only hatches from my first attempt at incubating eggs. My second attempt resulted in just 1 hatch. Now I'm trying duck eggs.

Do you think I've created all of that moisture in the egg??

Back
Top Bottom