Duck eggs hatching early. Need advice!

I would like to let her raise them. She's been broody for quite a while. Most of the time sitting on an empty nest in the beginning. Finally I gave her these because I felt bad for her.

mine are still separated. mom needs to bond. if you put them in too soon the other hens might eat the babies too. they don't have the mom instinct and mom cannot be every where at once. mine are 2 weeks old and still separated. ducks grow alot faster than chickens and they should be ready to get out of the pen and be with the rest by 3 weeks.

Here's another dumb question. So when eggs are in the incubator you don't open it the last 3 days because you don't want to let the humidity get out. So all three duck eggs have externally pipped but the broody is still leaving the nest daily. Is her getting off the nest like opening the bator during lockdown? Will the ducklings get shrink wrapped?

usually once the mom hears peeping she stops getting off the nest. but I would not worry too much about the whole lock down thing. the hen will put moisture back in the eggs when she comes back.

jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom