Duck eggs....how to know?

Bettyboop7499

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 25, 2018
Traverse City, MI
Hello BYC member!

I have three ducks, one Pekin, one Chocolate Runner, and one Blue Runner. I was wondering how to tell their eggs from my Chickens eggs. I’ve attached a photo of four eggs and a quarter for size reference. I’m pretty sure the bluish/greenish eggs are from the Blue Runner because I don’t have any chickens that have the gene to lay that color egg, as of yet. Also, there is a sooty coating on the green eggs which I’ve read is on Blue Runner eggs...? My issue is with the brown eggs, how can I tell if it’s a duck egg or a chicken egg? I thought my ducks would lay in a different area...they are not!

Thanks for any and all opinions! Have a great day BYC Members!

D4DFB897-6F55-4888-8FCD-919CB13498A4.jpeg

The one on the far right is a duck egg. You can tell by the bloom, eggs that are coated like this will be duck eggs.

Here is an article that lists some different duck breeds and the color eggs they typically lay. Your Pekin eggs will be white and significantly larger than the chicken eggs. The brown eggs are probably all chicken eggs.

https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2019/04/what-color-eggs-do-ducks-lay.html

You could crack each of those 4 eggs in a separate bowl and look at them side by side. As you crack the eggs typically duck eggs have a noticeably thicker shell and are harder to crack. Once you can compare them you will see that duck eggs have a much larger yolk and less white within the egg.

I was thinking the same thing, they are awfully small to be duck eggs. My Rouens laid large eggs. Also my ducks always laid very early in the morning. Like crack of dawn early. You should be able to determine who lays them if you go out first thing in the morning and find eggs.

Yes, the green/blue eggs and the second brown egg in the photo are always first thing in the morning...I thought they were laying in the middle of the night!

Yes, they just recently started laying. I was aware the Pekin egg would be white and assumed it would be much bigger. But, I’m not sure how big the Chocolate Runner eggs will be. Can’t really tell in the photo but the second brown egg is longer and narrower than the other brown egg..wasn’t sure if that would be an indicator?
I have Fawn & White Runner ducks, their eggs are the only ones i can identify, because they are slightly greenish and they are large for such light birds, starting at XL chicken egg size to Jumbo.

Back
Top Bottom