Duck eggs in lockdown! Hatching early?

AAcres

Songster
Apr 18, 2019
Northern Ontario Canada
I made the decision to put my duck eggs in lock down on the evening of day 24 (last night)
I had noticed one egg had an external pip.
I candled the others and a good amount of them have internally pipped.
The incubator temp has bounced around 99-102 for the first 24 days. But mostly stayed at 99-100. And 20 out of 25 eggs have developed and I’ve seen movement in all 20 eggs.
I’ve kept the temp the same and my humidity is now set between 70-75%. Is this too much??
The eggs have been wobbling around a bit and I’ve heard some peeping.
I’m really hoping to be successful! I feel as nervous as I did when I first set the eggs!

I haven't hatched ducks out since I was very young, so hopefully someone more experienced can answer you. I've always kept the temperature the same for hatching chicks and upped the humidity (must confess that I've never used a hygrometer as our climate here seems to be great for just following Brinsea incubator instructions and have had great luck with just a small pot/tray of water). Hope you have a great hatch!

I made the decision to put my duck eggs in lock down on the evening of day 24 (last night)
I had noticed one egg had an external pip.
I candled the others and a good amount of them have internally pipped.
The incubator temp has bounced around 99-102 for the first 24 days. But mostly stayed at 99-100. And 20 out of 25 eggs have developed and I’ve seen movement in all 20 eggs.
I’ve kept the temp the same and my humidity is now set between 70-75%. Is this too much??
The eggs have been wobbling around a bit and I’ve heard some peeping.
I’m really hoping to be successful! I feel as nervous as I did when I first set the eggs!
What kind of ducks are you hatching? Everything sounds good to me!

Hi! I’m hatching Indian runners and khaki campbells :)
They are pretty early then, those breeds usually don't hatch until day 28. Are you using a still air or forced air incubator? Your temps must have been a bit high.

They are pretty early then, those breeds usually don't hatch until day 28. Are you using a still air or forced air incubator? Your temps must have been a bit high.
I have a forced air incubator. Yes I think they have been more on the higher side. Only one egg has externally pipped (Very small opening) but is now not doing anything. The other eggs wiggle but aren’t externally pipping but some have internally pipped.
I have noticed my temps more around 100-102 today. I should lower it right?

I have a forced air incubator. Yes I think they have been more on the higher side. Only one egg has externally pipped (Very small opening) but is now not doing anything. The other eggs wiggle but aren’t externally pipping but some have internally pipped.
I have noticed my temps more around 100-102 today. I should lower it right?
I would lower your temp to 99 degrees. Don't worry about the pipped ducks yet, wait 36 hours before you worry about them. They can breathe just fine through teeny tiny holes, and they are very slow hatchers. They are very good at hatching though. Give them time.

Back
Top Bottom