Duck eggs soon to hatch?

Pics
Can’t hear it.. slight movement. Pip is into the air cell.
Get it out and make a big fuss. Whistle, chirp, tap, make noise. Set it on a hard floor really gently and see if it rocks. Shine a light at it and flicker it while it's on the floor. If it rocks it's probably fine. Have a hand ready in case it really rolls.

How is the one you turned over? Sorry, I was busy for a bit earlier. Usually it's not a good idea to turn the ones that pip on the bottom of the egg. They know what they're doing and it disorients them. Just like how it isn't good to turn eggs past day 18 (for chickens etc.) It probably will be fine, but just for future reference it usually just confused them. They have plenty of air with the air cell, and they can breathe through the pores once they externally pip. Don't turn it back though, it will just become more confused. It will most likely figure it out by itself. 😉 You're babies are precious! The one that hasn't externally pipped yet is probably fine. How long has it been internally pipped? You can make a very small hole in the air cell if you want to. Just take a sterile pin or needle and scrtach a small x on the air cell. Once you have it scratched pretty far down, poke a tiny hole in the middle of the x. That way it can have air. It's probably fine though.
How is the one you turned over? Sorry, I was busy for a bit earlier. Usually it's not a good idea to turn the ones that pip on the bottom of the egg. They know what they're doing and it disorients them. Just like how it isn't good to turn eggs past day 18 (for chickens etc.) It probably will be fine, but just for future reference it usually just confused them. They have plenty of air with the air cell, and they can breathe through the pores once they externally pip. Don't turn it back though, it will just become more confused. It will most likely figure it out by itself. 😉 You're babies are precious! The one that hasn't externally pipped yet is probably fine. How long has it been internally pipped? You can make a very small hole in the air cell if you want to. Just take a sterile pin or needle and scrtach a small x on the air cell. Once you have it scratched pretty far down, poke a tiny hole in the middle of the x. That way it can have air. It's probably fine though.
uh oh well I hope it didn’t confuse it too much!! The egg has been pipped since 2/24 now. Internally. Also remember the dark spots I was concerned about? Both eggs pipped where the dark spot was... another egg is getting a dark spot as well.

It's probably ok. I wouldn't worry about the dark spots. Go ahead with a safety hole in the internally pipped one. Sally Sunshine has a great article on assisted hatching I would reccomend you read just in case.

It's probably ok. I wouldn't worry about the dark spots. Go ahead with a safety hole in the internally pipped one. Sally Sunshine has a great article on assisted hatching I would reccomend you read just in case.
Okay just read it. Thank you. Nervous about the pin but I will go ahead. Anyone have tips on how to tell each duckling apart? Or do you usually name them when they don’t look so much alike lol

You can put some of those small colored zipties around their legs. Thats what I did. Works great! Just check and make sure they're loose enough all the time. Every day check and make sure they slide half way up the leg and down to the foot. You will have to cut them off and put on new ones as they grow. There are also poultry numbered bands for sale online and at Runnings/TSC for when they're adults. ;)

Last edited:
Did the zipper hatch? How’s the one you turned over doing?
Okay so the one that started to zip (and idk if it’s zipping or just a big pip) but I can hear it chirping and tapping. The one I rolled over somehow flipped itself back over so I’m leaving it haha. That one is chirping and moving. There is a total of 7 we are still waiting on. There are two that haven’t externally pipped at all yet... one is moving and one is not anymore.... they both have pipped internally. Should I be pricking them with a needle?

Back
Top Bottom