Duck eggs under a broody goose?

Bec

THE Delaware Blue Hen
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Home Of The Delaware Blue Hen
Can I put duck eggs under my broody goose? She doesn;t have a mate, just my Khaki Campbell drake....no babies coming from there! lol.
I was thinking about ordering duck eggs and having her hatch them, would that work? Will she accept them?

Every spring she lays between 15 and 20 eggs, then she goes broody and sits on them for ever! I am talking over a month! She is very dedicated when she is broody.

I don't see why she wouldn't. An egg is an egg, and many people set goose, turkey, chicken, duck, quail, whatever eggs under a broody hen. I don't think there would be any difference. Just be sure to get them soon after she starts to go broody, or she could possibly leave the nest when she thinks time is up. Or you could just take her eggs away and use them yourself, she shouldn't go broody if she has no eggs to sit on.

If I were to get some, I was going to just switch out her eggs with the duck eggs. I would like to get some sort of heavier breed of duck, like pekin or something similar. Any suggestions as to which breeds would make nice pets?

I have pekins, rouens, and cayugas, and none of them are really 'pets'. They are not mean or anything, they would just rather I not get too close to them. But they are amazing to watch, I just love ducks!
big_smile.png

Buff ducks are pretty friendly. At least mine is. She is bossy and LOUD, but cute as all get out and eats from my hand. She is a nut
big_smile.png

My runner is afraid of her own shadow, but still really cute. My khaki drake is so handsome.

I like my little mixed pack, and considering I got them all as adults and they were flock raised, I think they have all warmed up to close human contact rather well.

When I say pets, I mean like..they will come up and eat and interact with us. I don't need to have them on my lap..lol. Mine are my pets even thought they don;t climb into my lap....well my goose does, but my mallard and khaki campbell don't!

Back
Top Bottom