Duck eggs?

Apr 14, 2021
So I just bought 9 laying female ducks about 4 days ago, and one even layed an egg in my car on the drive home. So far that is the only egg I have gotten! We have been told that it may take a couple days for them to start laying again, but I am just wondering when we should expect to start finding eggs, or if we are doing something wrong? We put them in a pen with our other ducks that are only about 5 months old, so no eggs from them yet just because of their age. Do I need to add more hay for them or can they lay their eggs without a foot of hay or bedding to bury them under??

Attachments

• 5D101A6C-8F50-4A00-9C3C-5613DD0E9DF7.jpeg
    5D101A6C-8F50-4A00-9C3C-5613DD0E9DF7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 69E4FDE4-5A50-4719-A50F-E7A8440BD4C0.jpeg
    69E4FDE4-5A50-4719-A50F-E7A8440BD4C0.jpeg
    782 KB · Views: 2
  • 422A06EE-45F3-46BE-8A4F-E8AF2F09A7D1.jpeg
    422A06EE-45F3-46BE-8A4F-E8AF2F09A7D1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Purina duck feed with lots of veggies, they have also been getting corn, and more than likely have eaten some goat feed since they are in the same pen

Okay, so I don’t necessarily need more hay then? We got geese at the same time that have plenty of hay and they have not begun laying either 🤦‍♀️
I dont think hay is the problem. They will start laying when they are ready. Ducks hate change it might take them a bit to get used to their new surroundings.

Purina duck feed with lots of veggies, they have also been getting corn, and more than likely have eaten some goat feed since they are in the same pen
Corn isn't good for ducks. It dilutes the protein in the diet and key nutrients. I would suggest getting them off of that immediately, and maybe raise the goat feeder higher so they can't get to that.
Goat feed wont be good for them either. Small amounts its fine, but if a duck thats low in the pecking order decides to go eat that because the others are hogging the duck feed, then that could be an issue. Or if the duck feed gets low, and they all decide that goat feed is just as yummy.

As for your egg question, hay wont be an issue. I've found duck eggs in the pond, in the mud, in the run, everywhere really. As long as they have some bedding they can bed down in for bed and egg laying, thats perfect. The amount of bedding will never affect egg laying though.
I think they are just stressed from the move. Stress can stop egg laying for more then a few days, so even not laying for longer then a week wouldn't be concerning. Basically, as long as hey aren't showing any signs of egg issues, (binding, internal laying, etc.) and are acting like their normal selves, then call it an egg hunt and expect to see an egg the next day. If not, then the next day and so on.
Congrats on your new babies!

As for your egg question, hay wont be an issue. I've found duck eggs in the pond, in the mud, in the run, everywhere really. As long as they have some bedding they can bed down in for bed and egg laying, thats perfect. The amount of bedding will never affect egg laying though.
I think they are just stressed from the move. Stress can stop egg laying for more then a few days, so even not laying for longer then a week wouldn't be concerning. Basically, as long as hey aren't showing any signs of egg issues, (binding, internal laying, etc.) and are acting like their normal selves, then call it an egg hunt and expect to see an egg the next day. If not, then the next day and so on.
Congrats on your new babies!
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom