Duck eggs

Is it best to hand turn eggs or can I use an upright turner? The duck eggs I purchased are small enough to fit in the turner but I want to do what is best.
I am not the hatching eggspert here, that would be for example @Pyxis , @Magnolia Ducks or @shawluvsbirds , but imho if you are able to put the eggs into the automatic turner, use it!!! - You won't be able to turn the eggs with such accurate timing as the machine will do.

Is it best to hand turn eggs or can I use an upright turner? The duck eggs I purchased are small enough to fit in the turner but I want to do what is best.
What i have been told by more experienced hatchers is that duck eggs do better on their side, not upright. That said.. if you are forgetful like i am or gone a lot and aren't confident you'll be able to turn them by hand at least 3 times a day then I would say use the turner.

I have also heard hand turning will give you a better hatch rate with ducks but i couldn't tell ya for sure one way or another. I use the nurture right 360 that has a side turner.

I use the Mini Brinsea. I always use the automatic turner. It knows best. It also has auto cut off for lock down. I've had 100% hatch last 3 times. Less on the bigger Nurture Right but maybe I haven't leaned how to use it correctly yet.

I use my Nurture Right, which is a side turner, or lay them on their sides in my large egg tray in my Sportsman - I've found I get better hatch rates doing them on their sides, but if your auto turner can only do them standing up, it's okay to do them that way too.

Back
Top Bottom