Duck eggs ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by maxxsmommy, Oct 10, 2011.

1. maxxsmommy

maxxsmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    Im sure you all have been asked this question before, but I was wondering when i can expect my first duck egg... I have Welsh Harlequins .. My female has been letting my drake mate with her for well over 2 months now... but still no eggs. Yes they free range but i have been looking all over where they "hang out" during the day and nothing.. She is around 22-23 weeks old now. Does anyone know when she should start laying?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Probably getting close, do you have a nice place set up for her to use to lay her eggs in? sometimes that helps. But just saw your in Minnesota so if it's cold there possibly she'll not lay till spring.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Probably getting close, do you have a nice place set up for her to use to lay her eggs in? sometimes that helps. But just saw your in Minnesota so if it's cold there possibly she'll not lay till spring.

x2

4. maxxsmommy

maxxsmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    surprisingly it has been gorgeous here, in the upper 70's during the days. I hope she will lay some soon, yes she has a nest box and everything with alot of privacy. Thanks for your input though!!!!!!!!! So.. When its cold out do they always quit laying? just so i know, This is my first time owning ducks [​IMG]

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Its actually more to do with the length of daylight each day rather than just the temperature. I provide a light in the shed for mine so that they get 15 of light each day over the winter months. It can mess with the natural molting cycle to supplement light though.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I let mine rest over the winter, but everyone has their own way of doing it. But I have Muscovies and they quit laying in Sept and don't start back till April. which is fine with me. [​IMG]

7. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    I have 2 welsh harlequins that are 6 months old and they started laying at 5 months old almost to the day. When they first started laying they would drop their eggs just anywhere but now they are laying in a nest. I don't know how long they will lay as this is my first year with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by