Duck Eggtopsy - Warning, Lots of Graphic Pictures!

Good going K, explain what was going on that you had to intervene is that the normal look of a membrane? of all the chicks that have hatched here I have never seen one look like that.
It was day 28 for the peachick, and as you can see, it had not pipped internally. I believe this one could not pip because it was shrink wrapped, hence the color of the membrane.

Here you can see the beak:

after I moistened the membrane I exposed it's beak, then stuck it back in the incubator for 24 hours.

Peachicks normally take 28 days, but when I candled this one I could tell it was running out of energy, so made the decision to intervene.

-Kathy

It was day 28 for the peachick, and as you can see, it had not pipped internally. I believe this one could not pip because it was shrink wrapped, hence the color of the membrane.

Here you can see the beak:

after I moistened the membrane I exposed it's beak, then stuck it back in the incubator for 24 hours.

Peachicks normally take 28 days, but when I candled this one I could tell it was running out of energy, so made the decision to intervene.

-Kathy

That membrane looks very thick when my hens chick died in the shell before hatch day I opened it up and the membrane didn't look thick like the one in the pic. So the white is shrink wrapped? I thought it would be brown.

You ever wonder what happens to all of that yolk belly? They start to digest it, and in digesting it, they lose weight. Here it is at hatch:

Here it is 24 hours later:

-Kathy

Last edited:
That membrane looks very thick when my hens chick died in the shell before hatch day I opened it up and the membrane didn't look thick like the one in the pic. So the white is shrink wrapped? I thought it would be brown.
The think membrane is something I'm looking into, 'cause I also had two of those. I've also see the brown shrink-wrapped ones, but only if they pipped internally... Here the not internally pipped and shrink-wrapped have always been white.

-Kathy

Be warned... One of my up coming posts is going to show a peachick that lived for two weeks with a yolk sac infection.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom