Duck Eggtopsy - Warning, Lots of Graphic Pictures!

Pics
That is an exposed brain... first for me. Quick search says it can be from too high a temp early on.

-Kathy

When I hatched my Barnies last Easter, one hatched out with the brain exposed. I had to cull obviously, but was amazed it hatched out on its own for the most part.

My Perdy had four clutches of ducklings this Spring, her very first breeding season. The first three I incubated and the last, she hatched out herself. In the second clutch, I came about the saddest and craziest thing. Sad cause they didn't make it. I was performing an eggtopsy and realized I had a Siamese twin. Two beaks, four legs. Not separate at all, completely connected little ones. Bless the angel babies

Last edited:
My Perdy had four clutches of ducklings this Spring, her very first breeding season. The first three I incubated and the last, she hatched out herself. In the second clutch, I came about the saddest and craziest thing. Sad cause they didn't make it. I was performing an eggtopsy and realized I had a Siamese twin. Two beaks, four legs. Not separate at all, completely connected little ones. Bless the angel babies
That's incredible!
I've seen threads about people trying to hatch double yolkers, but I don't think I've seen one yet to succeed.

Mine wasn't a success :( It was the craziest thing I've ever seen. The duckling was a Siamese duckling. One head, two beaks, one body, four legs. I had never even heard of anything like it before. Bless their little souls

Here's my little one
that didn't make it
1f614.png

@needlessjunk actually, if you believe the deformities and malpositions are caused by genetics, there is a way to track them using a pedigree. Kinda like what a genetic counselor uses. They can be especially useful if a chick or duck with a non-fatal malpo goes on to live and breed. If these deformities and malpos are genetic, they sound like they're on a recessive allele (doesn't occur very often, you need two of them in order for the effect to show, hence why it seems to appear out of nowhere)

adopted a sex link chick
[/URL] - it's almost 3 weeks old. Hatched with 3 legs, 4 feet and 2 working vents. Over the last week her belly has grown. She's growing slowly and much less energetic than her mates. She's rare and a blessing she's survived this long. Any advice? I searched chick with swollen abdomen on here and found nothing like this. She's eating and pooping fine. She had pasty vent problems but seems to have cleared up. She also needed to have the brooder 10° warmer than the others. But seems to be maintaining her temp better now. Help. I don't want to lose her

Here's a close up of both vents. I know she's young and shouldn't be bathed but it seems to be helping with the swelling. I'm keeping the bath water brooder warm and will dry her in a warm towel and blow dryer. She loves it. What's going on here? As I hold her in the warm Epsom salt bath I feel her abdomen size reducing and her crops yes- two crops are full.

She was doing great until today. I would never let her suffer- she doesn't seem to be in pain. I have culled my chickens that were in pain or suffering especially when there is no option. I have to try something to help. She made it this far and was doing well till today.
She has one head and the only duplicate organs she has appear to be the digestive ones. Only one heart and set of lungs.

Well she passed just now. RIP little freak baby. It was a miracle she lived this long. I feel like I should preserve her body. Anyone know of a place that will do this? How should I preserve her till then?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom