Duck Emergency

0.jpg

I think that may actually be the cloaca - looks like something has broken through the side of the oviduct. I am not a vet or tech, just my first thoughts.

I would give her time in a tub of clean lukewarm water deep enough to float in. And get her to a vet, as you said.

Last edited:
Sinc she has been prolapsed now for over a week, I hope you can get it pushed back inside. Your vet may be able to stictch it in for awhile. The longer a prolapse is out and exposed to air, the tissue can die. Keep it moist and reduce swelling with honey or the Prep H.

My KC 7 month old is not doing to well. She has been a great egg layer every day. Well yesterday she was out in the yard acting funny/ strange she would not come when I called her and she was breathing heavy. So I took her in the house put her in the tub for a few hours and she seemed to be fine. Early this morning I went out to the coop, her head was face down with her bottom and legs in the air! I thought she was dead! when I picked her up she seemed very weak would not walk and seemed to be in pain! I noticed she had an egg in her " egg bound"? So I put her in warm water and within a few minutes out came the egg! Now she is still very weak not acting her self, not eating a lot but drinking I have her in the house away from my other duck. Any advice on what's going on with her???

When I give calcium I give between 100-200mg per 2.2 pounds orally. I prefer the 23% Calcium Gluconate that Amiga uses, which can be found in the cattle section of Tractor Supply, but I have also given 500mg human calcium pills to ducks, chickens, turkeys and peafowl. One can also use tums, but I think you'd have to break that into quarters so they could swallow it.

-Kathy

I went to my local pet supply, they recomanded poultry nutri-drench nutrition supplement, witch seems to have just about every thing in it Vitamin A,D-3 and E + calcium 0.7%. Has any one ever used this or recommend it to help the issue I am having??

Back
Top Bottom