Duck Emergency

pax12

Crowing
16 Years
Feb 7, 2008
PA
This duck has something sticking out of its butt that won't come out. Any ideas let me know ASAP

0.jpg

Looks like a prolapsed vent. Apply some honey or Preparation H ointment to it for shrinkage effects, and try to push it all the way back inside. Hold it there for a few minutes. Rubber gloves are mighty handy. It may keep coming out, so keep pushing it back in. Soaking the vent and keeping it clean may be needed for a few days. Stop her from laying by placing her in a darkened area or covered cage 16 hours/day. Here is some reading:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html
http://www.littlehenrescue.co.uk/Pages/Medicaladvice.aspx

Last edited:
Thanks, I put her in a cage in the shed so she stops laying, it seems like kind of ball like thing is coming out but I cant get it back in.
Is the egg inside the vent? I saw a pic once where the there was a prolapse and the egg was inside the prolapse have you felt it? you might put her into some nice warm water and very gently try and remove the egg being extremely careful not to break it. What i mean is there is an egg and the inside of her vent is still around it so if you gently manuver the skin from around the outside of the egg it may just pop out. but don't try and pull it out since that is her inside there around it.

Last edited:
I know this is gonna sound weird, but at my clinic we use KY jelly as a lubricant to help...um...move things back into position, so to speak. Just be gentle and use preparation H afterward to minimize swelling and aid with the healing process.

One of my chickens is affected with what I think should be diarrhea or coccidiosis what can I use to cure it?
It's always best to start your own thread so there won't be confusion and you will get morehelp. Amprollium is the best drug for treatment of coccidiosis, and it is called many names depending on your country. Sulfadimethoxine and toltrazuril are also commonly used for treatment.

Sounds egg bound. There could be other eggs inside her. More time in lukewarm water she can float in, and some extra calcium supplement. I put a quarter teaspoon of 23% calcium gluconate in a couple tablespoons of peas, and then put a teaspoon per half cup in drinking water for a while.

Some folks crush a calcium pill into their water - I do not recall the exact proportions on that, but in her case, I think just getting some calcium into her is important right now.

A vet would be a good idea.

FYI, if there are other egg in her she *really* will need the extra calcium. Look up egg binding and find articles written by vets. Many of them will say to hydrate first, which you don't have to do if she's drinking and they'll also mention giving calcium. The 100mg per 2.2 pounds is what my vet told me to use and it's also what's documented in the veterinary literature I have read.

Nutri Drench does *not* have enough calcium, period. :D

-Kathy

Thanks, I put her in a cage in the shed so she stops laying, it seems like kind of ball like thing is coming out but I cant get it back in.

Back
Top Bottom