Duck Emergency

0.jpg

I think that may actually be the cloaca - looks like something has broken through the side of the oviduct. I am not a vet or tech, just my first thoughts.

I would give her time in a tub of clean lukewarm water deep enough to float in. And get her to a vet, as you said.

Last edited:
Sinc she has been prolapsed now for over a week, I hope you can get it pushed back inside. Your vet may be able to stictch it in for awhile. The longer a prolapse is out and exposed to air, the tissue can die. Keep it moist and reduce swelling with honey or the Prep H.

My KC 7 month old is not doing to well. She has been a great egg layer every day. Well yesterday she was out in the yard acting funny/ strange she would not come when I called her and she was breathing heavy. So I took her in the house put her in the tub for a few hours and she seemed to be fine. Early this morning I went out to the coop, her head was face down with her bottom and legs in the air! I thought she was dead! when I picked her up she seemed very weak would not walk and seemed to be in pain! I noticed she had an egg in her " egg bound"? So I put her in warm water and within a few minutes out came the egg! Now she is still very weak not acting her self, not eating a lot but drinking I have her in the house away from my other duck. Any advice on what's going on with her???

Sounds egg bound. There could be other eggs inside her. More time in lukewarm water she can float in, and some extra calcium supplement. I put a quarter teaspoon of 23% calcium gluconate in a couple tablespoons of peas, and then put a teaspoon per half cup in drinking water for a while.

Some folks crush a calcium pill into their water - I do not recall the exact proportions on that, but in her case, I think just getting some calcium into her is important right now.

A vet would be a good idea.

When I give calcium I give between 100-200mg per 2.2 pounds orally. I prefer the 23% Calcium Gluconate that Amiga uses, which can be found in the cattle section of Tractor Supply, but I have also given 500mg human calcium pills to ducks, chickens, turkeys and peafowl. One can also use tums, but I think you'd have to break that into quarters so they could swallow it.

-Kathy

I went to my local pet supply, they recomanded poultry nutri-drench nutrition supplement, witch seems to have just about every thing in it Vitamin A,D-3 and E + calcium 0.7%. Has any one ever used this or recommend it to help the issue I am having??

It won't hurt, but it's very unlikely to help. Laying eggs can deplete their calcium stores, so I would give her the calcium or take her to a vet.

Kathy

Back
Top Bottom