Duck Emergency

pax12

Crowing
16 Years
Feb 7, 2008
PA
This duck has something sticking out of its butt that won't come out. Any ideas let me know ASAP

0.jpg

Looks like a prolapsed vent. Apply some honey or Preparation H ointment to it for shrinkage effects, and try to push it all the way back inside. Hold it there for a few minutes. Rubber gloves are mighty handy. It may keep coming out, so keep pushing it back in. Soaking the vent and keeping it clean may be needed for a few days. Stop her from laying by placing her in a darkened area or covered cage 16 hours/day. Here is some reading:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html
http://www.littlehenrescue.co.uk/Pages/Medicaladvice.aspx

Last edited:
Thanks, I put her in a cage in the shed so she stops laying, it seems like kind of ball like thing is coming out but I cant get it back in.

Thanks, I put her in a cage in the shed so she stops laying, it seems like kind of ball like thing is coming out but I cant get it back in.
Is the egg inside the vent? I saw a pic once where the there was a prolapse and the egg was inside the prolapse have you felt it? you might put her into some nice warm water and very gently try and remove the egg being extremely careful not to break it. What i mean is there is an egg and the inside of her vent is still around it so if you gently manuver the skin from around the outside of the egg it may just pop out. but don't try and pull it out since that is her inside there around it.

Last edited:
I didn't feel an egg only the ball like thingy hanging out

It's not hard like an egg then that's good. maybe she had already laid the egg and the inside just came out with it. poor thing. well let her soak in some nice cool water and then use some KY jelly or vaseline and try to push it back inside very gently. you don;'t want to let it dry up or get nasty dirty it can get infected. Cool water may help it shrink quicker than warm.

That look a lot like a prolapse with an egg in it. Not saying that it is, just that that's what it looked like when mine had one.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I know this is gonna sound weird, but at my clinic we use KY jelly as a lubricant to help...um...move things back into position, so to speak. Just be gentle and use preparation H afterward to minimize swelling and aid with the healing process.

Back
Top Bottom