Duck eye infection--won't stop scratching

TwoDogFarm

Songster
6 Years
Jun 16, 2014
North Carolina
My duck has an eye infection. We started treating her two days ago with Veterycin but the problem is she is making the infection worse by constantly scratching. How can we make her stop?

Wow, tough one. I wonder if there is something like a cone you could use, or soft booties and keep her inside for a day or two? They heal pretty quickly.

Another thought - is there something in the eye, still? She may be trying to get something out of the eye area.

Half of her eye has extremely white bubbly discharge coming out... How can I tell if something is in it? Could dunking her head in water get whatever it is out? Should we give her another round of oral antibiotics for her eye?

We ordered some duck booties at the beginning of last week since we keep having foot problems so hopefully they will be here soon. Thanks.

Let's back up. Are you spraying Vetericyn, or do you have the eye gel? Is she washing her head frequently?

I would consider making sure she has a pot of water with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per gallon for head washing. ACV is said to have mild antibacterial effect.

You may need a buddy to gently hold her while you take a close look. You might use a mild saline solution to rinse the eye then immediately look for any signs of a particle in the eye that could have started this problem.

Some ducks just don't cooperate, I know that. But if you can get her to keep rinsing her own head, she will do some of the work for you, and if you can get one good look at that eye, you will have a better idea on what is next.

Let's back up.  Are you spraying Vetericyn, or do you have the eye gel?  Is she washing her head frequently?

I would consider making sure she has a pot of water with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per gallon for head washing.  ACV is said to have mild antibacterial effect.  

You may need a buddy to gently hold her while you take a close look.  You might use a mild saline solution to rinse the eye then immediately look for any signs of a particle in the eye that could have started this problem.

Some ducks just don't cooperate, I know that.  But if you can get her to keep rinsing her own head, she will do some of the work for you, and if you can get one good look at that eye, you will have a better idea on what is next.

We have the eye gel for her eye. We are using the spray on her foot. We don't have a bucket in with her at the moment but if that will help we will definitely do that. We will see if we can look at her eye today and try your suggestion

She doesn't appear to have anything in her eye but we made her rinse her head in ACV water and treated both eyes with Veterycin eye gel. I'm concerned about her though. Her head is extremely hot to the touch, her bill seems to be getting soft, and she's losing a ton of feathers. I'm not sure if the feather loss is due to her scratching or moulting. I cant be sure because she seems so sick...

We took her to our local vet today. He said he has only treated two other ducks before but he was able to help. He figured out that she has a respiratory infection and gave her a different type of oral antibiotics which we will have to administer through a syringe twice a day. He also gave us some eye drops that we have to use twice a day for ten days. Hopefully this does it for her and gets her better.

Back
Top Bottom