Duck Eye Problem

Tiggerandfriends

Chirping
Aug 10, 2017
I got some Khaki Campbell ducks last March. They have never had an medical problems, nor have my other ducks besides my late disabled Pekin. When I went to collect chicken eggs and check water when I noticed that one of the female Khakis had a foam like substance on the corner of the left eye. The foam looked like soap suds. I caught her and gently removed the foam, and the foam didn’t refurn. I didn’t see any more a few hours later when I went to put the ducks and chickens up for the night, and I’m going to check again when I let them out in the morning. I didn’t see anything wrong with her eye. My wild Muscovy did fly into the pen where I keep my birds and did fly at one of the Khakis, but I didn’t see any injuries on this female when I caught her. I’ve had ducks and chickens for a few years, and have dealt medical problems with a disabled duck and a chicken that had a possible brain problem and a huge infection, but I have never seen this before. I want to know if this is something I need to treat, or is something that I shouldn’t worry about. If I see it again, I’ll post a picture. Any advice about this, or other medical problems will be greatly appreciated.

I got some Khaki Campbell ducks last March. They have never had an medical problems, nor have my other ducks besides my late disabled Pekin. When I went to collect chicken eggs and check water when I noticed that one of the female Khakis had a foam like substance on the corner of the left eye. The foam looked like soap suds. I caught her and gently removed the foam, and the foam didn’t refurn. I didn’t see any more a few hours later when I went to put the ducks and chickens up for the night, and I’m going to check again when I let them out in the morning. I didn’t see anything wrong with her eye. My wild Muscovy did fly into the pen where I keep my birds and did fly at one of the Khakis, but I didn’t see any injuries on this female when I caught her. I’ve had ducks and chickens for a few years, and have dealt medical problems with a disabled duck and a chicken that had a possible brain problem and a huge infection, but I have never seen this before. I want to know if this is something I need to treat, or is something that I shouldn’t worry about. If I see it again, I’ll post a picture. Any advice about this, or other medical problems will be greatly appreciated.

She is not showing any other symptoms of any kind and is acting like she always does.

Foamy eyes can be a sign of mycoplasma (MG,) but is there any other symptom of a respiratory infection (sneeze, rattly or wheezy breathing, head shaking?) I am not really familiar with ducks as much as chickens, but does she have a place to dip her bill into water? Posting on the duck thread would be a good thing also.

She doesn’t have any other symptoms that I’ve seen. She does have a pretty big water dish, and I did give my birds fresh water. I’ll definitely keep your advice in mind and do more research. I’ll definitely spend some time with all my birds in the morning to make sure I’m not missing any symptoms.

I’m having a similar problem with my Swedish Black. No respiratory symptoms but a very irritated, foamy or frothy eye. I can tell it is really uncomfortable for her because she keeps shaking her head and trying to rub the eye. No lethargy either. I suspect it is either Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) or a secondary infection after trauma to the eye from mating (we have a drake that is being aggressive that I have now separated).

I have started applying Nystatin eye ointment in case it is an infection and am considering administering Tylan50 orally following dosage recommendations from @casportpony in a different thread.

Ive never dealt with this before. Anyone have any advice? Do you think it is an injury or MG based on the pic? Hopefully someone can help me and the OP. @Tiggerandfriends does your Khaki’s eye look like mine?

Attachments

• 9AC884D5-6545-4550-8050-FA77313B8D9F.jpeg
    9AC884D5-6545-4550-8050-FA77313B8D9F.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 10
I’m having a similar problem with my Swedish Black. No respiratory symptoms but a very irritated, foamy or frothy eye. I can tell it is really uncomfortable for her because she keeps shaking her head and trying to rub the eye. No lethargy either. I suspect it is either Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) or a secondary infection after trauma to the eye from mating (we have a drake that is being aggressive that I have now separated).

I have started applying Nystatin eye ointment in case it is an infection and am considering administering Tylan50 orally following dosage recommendations from @casportpony in a different thread.

Ive never dealt with this before. Anyone have any advice? Do you think it is an injury or MG based on the pic?
So hard to say what it is. Maybe you could contact the CAHFS lab at Davis and ask them about getting her tested for the various respiratory diseases.

If she were mine I would treat her with Baytril (enrofloxacin) for 3-5 days. Google "baytril for birds" and you will find many non-prescription sources.

Baytril is banned for use in poultry, so be sure you read up on that before buying it.

Ive never dealt with this before. Anyone have any advice? Do you think it is an injury or MG based on the pic? Hopefully someone can help me and the OP. @Tiggerandfriends does your Khaki’s eye look like mine?

Sorry, been away for a while and haven’t received any notifications about someone replying to my post. Yes, her eye looks like that. But it only occurred once that I’ve seen, and she didn’t appear uncomfortable.

Back
Top Bottom