Duck eye problem

I know this thread has been dead for a while but I just wondered if you ever found out the cause, and ask what happened with your duck, mine has a similar sounding problem with a large bubble formed on the eye.

Cheers,

Phil

I was just looking up the same exact thing. My Ol boy has one on each side-looks more like a yellow/white bubble in the corner closest to beak..a bit concerning since I don't know what it is and no 'bird' doc either. :(

Barnyard 70, that was my suspicions also but have been treating with baytrill 10 oral for a week and there is no change to the eyes condition. I usually find that mycoplasma brings out fluid bubbles on the surface of the eye whereas this is actually a bubble forming in the surface of the eye.

Cheers,

Phil

Okay first off I would like to start a thread but I don't know how so therefore I will post on this one. I have a female pekin duck who is about a year and a half old and she is having some serious eye troubles. One of her eyes started acting up a few days ago. At first I thought she just poked it on a stick or something and it would heal on its own and I thought it had because it looked much better until yesterday. A thick white almost puss like foam is coming from her eye and se is not grooming herself normally. She is eating and drinking fine but then today...... Her eye is combletely swollen shut with that Ick coming from her eye.... Still eating and drinking but I don't know what do do. I have 2 drakes and one of them is especially concerned for her. Never leaves her alone and guides her everywhere. I just need some advice on how to fix this. Will she lose her eye? I can't see it at this point because she is white and it is glazed over with white. I would really appreciate a response!:)

Okay first off I would like to start a thread but I don't know how so therefore I will post on this one. I have a female pekin duck who is about a year and a half old and she is having some serious eye troubles. One of her eyes started acting up a few days ago. At first I thought she just poked it on a stick or something and it would heal on its own and I thought it had because it looked much better until yesterday. A thick white almost puss like foam is coming from her eye and se is not grooming herself normally. She is eating and drinking fine but then today...... Her eye is combletely swollen shut with that Ick coming from her eye.... Still eating and drinking but I don't know what do do. I have 2 drakes and one of them is especially concerned for her. Never leaves her alone and guides her everywhere. I just need some advice on how to fix this. Will she lose her eye? I can't see it at this point because she is white and it is glazed over with white. I would really appreciate a response!
smile.png
She has foamy eye, an eye infection. The eye needs to be rinsed - I would say at this point 4 or 5 times a day for a few days, then three times a day till it's cleared. Use saline solution, or Vetericyn, or perhaps you can get an opthalmic eye drop and follow the directions there.

Can she wash her head frequently? I know winter can make it a challenge.

Also, drakes can sometimes be the cause of eye injury the way they grab the ducks' head. You may need to put a temporary fence between them for a time. They can still sit together, but he won't be able to grab her.

She has foamy eye, an eye infection.  The eye needs to be rinsed - I would say at this point 4 or 5 times a day for a few days, then three times a day till it's cleared.  Use saline solution, or Vetericyn, or perhaps you can get an opthalmic eye drop and follow the directions there.

Can she wash her head frequently?  I know winter can make it a challenge.

Also, drakes can sometimes be the cause of eye injury the way they grab the ducks' head.  You may need to put a temporary fence between them for a time.  They can still sit together, but he won't be able to grab her.

She does have plenty of access to fresh polls of water all day every day. She just seems like she hurt it somehow pretty badly and she is my only female so I need to egg production. She might not be cleaning herself as much right now because it's so cold right now but I just want her to be okay. Thank you for the advice I will get right on it tomorrow!

Hi there. :) I may have a picture for the "bubble eye" problem.

This Muscovy duckling was born partially blind. I've had one other duckling born like this, but she is doing wonderfully and never developed the "bubble eye" problem. This little guy was doing equally fine until he turned 2 weeks old. At that time he started to develop strange bubbles over his eyes. They start out clear and then slowly get thicker. They are mucusy and sticky.

A few days ago he bumped his head against me and popped one of the bubbles. It did not seem to hurt him and he could see perfectly out of the eye after the bubble burst, he actually seemed happy to be rid of it. I'm thinking that maybe mucus builds up on the eye until it forms this bubble? I don't know...

The bubble over his right eye has been there for about five days. The reddish discoloration is not a scab, it is simply bits of leaves and mud that got stuck to the mucus on the eye -- I don't want to scrape it off, but I was able to get a previous mess off with a little warm water and Saline spray. The left eye was the one that popped and had been clear, except for a little mucus, until today when the bubble came back.

He is almost three weeks old and other than looking like the goggle-king is doing really good! He keeps up with his brothers and sisters and swims around happily looking for floating Mazuri pellets -- which he somehow finds with ease.

I've been cleaning both eyes out every day with Saline, and also applying some steroid eyedrops I have on hand. We will see how it progresses.

One final look at the new bubble. The white line over his eye is a string of slimey stuff that just refused to come off when washed with Saline.

Has anyone seen anything like this? He's such a trooper, I want to help him in any way I can.

I think if a vet is a possibility, I would get help. And I feel that there is an underlying sinus-ear infection that is also affecting the eyes from underneath - so oral antibiotics might get the little one all cleared up.

This is the same condition my drake had. I treated with antibiotics and eye drops from the vet but was unable to save his sight (especially after the bubble popped after which it is vital to use some firm of eye drop to keep infection at bay). With tge eye drops both eyes healed fine but he is totally blind.

He does well and you wouldn't know he was blind if you saw him apart from the white eyes.

Back
Top Bottom