Duck eye problem

cassieatll

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
My male duck has a big white bubble on the corner of his eye. The eye itself looks fine and he can blink over the bubble but the bubble is really big! There is no red at all it's just like someone inflated the white corner of his eye? Does anyone know what this is or how to treat it? No one around me treats ducks so I am not sure what to do for him. Thanks...

Just a suggestion when treating eyes never use any ointment or drops with steroids in it unless prescribed by a vet. An eye that has a scratched cornea can have serious damage if a steroid is used. I have been told that by 2 vets when prescribed med for both out cat and our horses eyes for an infection. Always use a nonsteroidal med. unless told differently by your vet.

This is the same condition my drake had. I treated with antibiotics and eye drops from the vet but was unable to save his sight (especially after the bubble popped after which it is vital to use some firm of eye drop to keep infection at bay). With tge eye drops both eyes healed fine but he is totally blind.

He does well and you wouldn't know he was blind if you saw him apart from the white eyes.

I haven't seen that. Could you give him a chance to have a good bath in clean water? Does he have water deep enough to wash his head frequently? Is there a way to post a picture of it? Thanks. Hope we can figure this out quickly.

Well when I got home last night the bubble had went down or popped? It still didn't look infected but you could tell where it was and they have a big heated water pan that I fill with fresh water every day. I guess I will just watch it and make sure it doesn't get nasty looking? Does anyone know what I can put in it if it does get to looking bad?

Thanks,
Cassie

Well it still doesn't look infected or anything but the eye "bubble" is back. It's the strangest thing I have ever seen, I don't know what to do for it and no one has ever heard of it before.

Is there some chance you can get someone with a camera to take a picture of his eye? I think the nictitating membrane idea has merit, but one person's bubble is another person's membrane, and - okay, I'll say it - a picture is worth a thousand words!

Pretty please? Pic?
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom