Dirty under eyes

myduckduckie

Chirping
Dec 3, 2022
I have a male runner duck that has wet feather but he gets everything clean in the water except under his eyes. it is cold where i am and he doesnt want to go outside to clean in the pool so i have a bucket where he can put his head in what can i do more for the eyes ?

What's going on with his eyes? Please post a picture if there is a problem with his eyes.
20231221_125128.jpg

Its not really his eye his feathers under his eyes get dirty

yes so it seems his eyes are leaking some fluid down into those feathers. maybe an eye infection starting that’s you caught early? i would gently flush his eyes with saline., and get some terramycin ointment for them. @Miss Lydia what do you think

You have better eyesight than me @Jenbirdee. If the fluid is clear maybe just make up a saline rinse [recipes online] and rinse his eyes a couple times a day if this fluid is thick and has color in it then I'd do the terramycin. But it is a very good idea to already have it on hand. The feed store here doesn't carry it so I have to order online.
Why does he have a wet feather did he molt this year?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323842 This has recipes for saline rinse.

yes so it seems his eyes are leaking some fluid down into those feathers. maybe an eye infection starting that’s you caught early? i would gently flush his eyes with saline., and get some terramycin ointment for them. @Miss Lydia what do you think
He has this a couple of months now but normally he cleans it away only the last month it got very cold outside so he doesnt want to go in the pool but he has a bucket for his head inside.
I dont know if it is fluid from his eyes it is dry and hard.

You have better eyesight than me @Jenbirdee. If the fluid is clear maybe just make up a saline rinse [recipes online] and rinse his eyes a couple times a day if this fluid is thick and has color in it then I'd do the terramycin. But it is a very good idea to already have it on hand. The feed store here doesn't carry it so I have to order online.
Why does he have a wet feather did he molt this year?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323842 This has recipes for saline rinse.
I do not know how he got wet feather.
He did molt this year

For now, just use some saline to rinse his eyes twice a day and see if that helps clear it up. As @Miss Lydia said, it would be good to also have terramycin on hand in case he or other duck need it

Back
Top Bottom